Did I damage my 4 wheel drive system ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VENOMIZD

Reaction score
Well just back from a long weekend camping trip and looks like I forgot to take the 4x4 low off when I left the campsite...Had to deal with lots of gravel hills at the campsite so the 4x4 low came in very handy.

So it seems like I pulled my travel trailer home in 4x4 low on the hwy for a 3 hour drive. Had the trailer tow button on as usual but there was no funny gearing noises or even any noticeable difference in the drive home.
Usually when in 4x4 low its noticeable especially on turning corners.

Wondering if its possible that the 4x4 low disengages by default at higher speeds. any thought ?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say what could have happened. I would get the gearbox fluids changed to check for any damage. Im surprised your transmission didnt overheat hauling and highway speeds

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy Hell Dude!!! How you could you not tell it was in 4 Low? What's the speed limit there, 35 kmh? If it was running smooth at highway speeds and you couldn't tell that it was in 4 Low, I would say something is definitely broke now......

Good luck. If it's still under warranty, I would most definitely suggest NOT telling the service guy what really happened......

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
anigif_optimized-20232-1425309746-24.gif

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you were in 4Low. You would be screaming trying to get anywhere near highway speeds. It would have been extremely obvious. I just can't picture it happening.

And no, 4 Low doesn't and can't disengage automatically. You have to be at a stop for that since it has to switch gears in the T-case. Four High you can do that, but not Low.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

From the owners manual:

In 4L (4X4 low), the electronic locking
differential will automatically
disengage at speeds above 62 mph
(100 km/h) and will automatically
reengage at speeds below 56 mph (90
km/h)