Complete Brake Make Over DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the lines first; if you make a mess it will not mess-up the new stuff.
Before removing the old lines fill the reservoir to max, place some plastic wrapping over the top before replacing the cap (sealing the reservoir)
Remove the old line and install the new one; one side at a time.
Remove the plastic wrapping from under the reservoir cap.
Place some clear tubing over the bleeder; loosen the bleeder; have a helper slowly depress the brake paddle and hold at the bottom; close the bleeder. Repeat until no bubbles show. Do not let the reservoir go dry! Do the other site. Have a beer

Sealing off the reservoir and breaking the lines loose causes the ebtcm solenoid pack to draw air. Bleeding the solenoid pack is beyond this thread.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sealing off the reservoir and breaking the lines loose causes the ebtcm solenoid pack to draw air. Bleeding the solenoid pack is beyond this thread.
Sealing off the reservoir simply prevents the free flow of the fluid.
If, for some strange reason, solenoids in the system will operate some pistons that will draw fluid up from the calipers with the ignition off, simply disconnect the negative battery terminal to prevent this.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the first time you drive it, your brakes won't grab like they should it needs a few miles to work in and get all of the coatings off. Light Smoke will be normal the first drive and you should consider bedding them in on a late night when no one is on the roads.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have searched and there is no mention of this. Ford has a requirement that the caliper bolts should be discarded if you remove them. I planning on new rotors was wondering if new caliper bolts are really necessary?

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget to vicegrip the lines to keep them from dripping. Later on you can wonder why lines are screwed if you are lucky. If you are not lucky you will get a bubble in rubber liner that locks brakes on. An sae fitting with hole soldered makes a good line plug

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched and there is no mention of this. Ford has a requirement that the caliper bolts should be discarded if you remove them. I planning on new rotors was wondering if new caliper bolts are really necessary?
Yes, do this.

I didn’t know about it and my caliper came loose while on the highway after I replaced mine myself. It’s a cheap option that will save you a headache! Use locktite or whatever you like as well!