Coming soon: Wavetrac Diff Install & Torsen Diff Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now that the ball is rolling I figured this would be a good time to get ya'll up to speed, and open this up for discussion before it happens. What exactly is going on? Glad you asked ;)

FRF member Chrisandalex1 contacted me a couple weeks ago. He has been working very closely with both Wavetrac and SVT in efforts to make aftermarket replacements for the OEM open/Torsen diffs, the CV axels and hubs. Anyone who knows Chris or who's seen his truck knows this guy is first class all the way and doesn't mess around in any way shape or form. Here's Chris' thread on the Wavetrac details: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/new-limited-slip-differential-coming-raptor-front-end-11892/

Chris called me out of the blue and asked if I was interested in helping he and Wavetrac explain what's involved in their "drop in" LSD swap to everyone here on the forum. Is a pig's ass pork??

To that end, SVT has just shipped out an entire 2012 Raptor front axle to Wavetrac, who will open it up, remove the OEM Torsen and drop in their LSD. I'll get my butt down there for that entire process, taking pictures and making sure to writeup everything there is to know about the process.

In addition, Chris offered me the OEM torsen for the purposes of chronicling exactly what's required to retrofit it into a 2010-11 Raptor. So I'll be handling that as well.

Pretty cool, huh? Chris saw an opportunity to help everyone see what's what with the Wavetrac, and to help us all come to understand what's required to retrofit a Torsen. We owe serious props and thanks to these guys and SVT for working so closely with their customers.

As for scheduling, I'm hoping next week on the way out to Texas for at least the Wavetrac portion of all this. The Torsen part will need to wait a little bit while I get my ducks in a row.

In the mean time... what specific questions do you guys have about all this? I've got access to some pretty incredible minds thanks to all this, so if you've got a question let me have it so I can make sure its addressed either via the writeup/pics or via conversation with the right people.

:peace:

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for CV Axles now, and an upgraded solution would be great. I'd like to keep running on Third Perch without having CV boot issues.

Would these be similar to what companies like RCV produce, and would they help me?

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big J;

Could you have Wavetrac go into more detail how the carbon fiber bias plates work and how the end user can use these to custom tune their differential to meet their specific needs?

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask Sean Carlini at RCV to pay a visit from time to time as well. They are doing they new axles as well as upgraded hubs.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll ask Sean Carlini at RCV to pay a visit from time to time as well. They are doing they new axles as well as upgraded hubs.

Thank you, for taking the incredible Ford Raptor and pushing the limits and paving the way for the rest of the Raptor community... This is a much needed upgrade for all Raptors, especially the 2012 with torsen front ends..

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am all over it, however it is ******* expensive. Hopefully as demand rises they will be able to justify bringing the price way down.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am all over it, however it is ******* expensive. Hopefully as demand rises they will be able to justify bringing the price way down.

Once the man BIGJ does his excellent write up and documentation. And everyone realizes the RCV axles and hubs are the only way to go on offroad Raptors.. If they build it, Raptor owners will buy them.. Look how much the aftermarket vendors have grown in such a short time..

Chrisandalex1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the man BIGJ does his excellent write up and documentation. And everyone realizes the RCV axles and hubs are the only way to go on offroad Raptors.. If they build it, Raptor owners will buy them.. Look how much the aftermarket vendors have grown in such a short time..

Well, they are building it now. I also sent them a set of hubs. This should be interesting to see what they come up with. They didn't seem to have any issue with the idea of making them much stronger.