Climbing Sand Hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-Quinn-

Reaction score
This past weekend my dad and I headed to Knolls Utah to try out the Raptor in some Sand. We had a great time and both trucks performed well. We essentially have the same truck. No tune, no aftermarket suspension, I have a CAI and more aggressive tires but that's it. I have searched the term "sand climbing and didn't find an answer to my question. While trying to climb some steep sand hills both trucks would cut power when they started to dig or lose traction towards the top of the hill. We both had the trucks in Off-road mode, 4X4 High and traction control off. As you can see in the video it was hills similar to that. Any ideas on why the trucks do this or is there another mode we could have put them in? The trucks would have made it up the hill if the revs would have kept up. I would appreciate any advice you guys would have.

http://youtu.be/cA13ewgKSuI

Attachments

• Raptor Jump2.jpg
    Raptor Jump2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 135
  • 20150530_081746.jpg
    20150530_081746.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Raptor Jump.jpg
    Raptor Jump.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 138
D

Deleted member 12951

Did you hold TC down for 10 secs to fully disable it or just tap it? Also lock the rear by pulling out the 4x4 knob. Or try manual and keep it in 2nd (or lock out all gears except for 1st and 2nd)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
-Quinn-

-Quinn-

Reaction score
Yes held it down so it was completely off. And yes the rear was locked. The back end would hopping around. We would just reverse down the hill.

OP
OP
-Quinn-

-Quinn-

Reaction score
Is it actually cutting power or shifting into too high of a gear? Did you try 4Low?

It was cutting power, I didn't try 4 low because it would have slowed the truck down to much and you had to climb fast or you would sink.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Trailer sway control turned OFF?

Jimbo! You may be on to something, I am betting that was it. It acted like a safety feature was killing power and I think you may be right. I will have to head out to the dunes again and see if that solves it. Thanks for the tip!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trailer sway only affects side to side movement of the truck. i have been around turns too quickly and had it happen before. you can not fully turn off traction control in the truck. i think only 2010 you can.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Were you aired down?

Just watched your video. Humor me and try it in low (off-road mode) next time. You weren't going very fast.

Here's me in four low on what appears to be a larger hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4MUhvd5uMM

Here's four high on another hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oF2szqBKzA

Also, be careful turning your tires THAT much - that's how I snapped a CV in the sand on the four low video hill (different time, not caught on camera).

It looks like you simply didn't have enough grunt in four high in first gear to get those tires spinning. You need wheel spin in sand. I don't think any nannies kicked in or anything.

Last edited: