Cheap DIY Spare Tire Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting a cheap way to safeguard my spare tire. With all of the stolen spare stories I felt I should at least make an attempt to make it a little harder for someone to make off with mine.
I may have to lay on the ground to unlock it but that's better than not having the tire when you need it.
Anyway, all you need is a long reach receiver lock and to drill out the top member where the existing hole is as seen in the pic. You need to make the new hole at least 3/4" to allow the pin to enter at an angle from the top due to its length. You will also need a 5/8" shaft collar to keep the pin from pushing up when you try to lock it. I used a collar on the top of the pin to get the length just right as well. You will probably want a lock with the rubber cap to help keep dirt out of it or just use gorilla tape over the key hole. A good time to check the tire pressure as well...
R,
HAP
IMG_1111_zpsedtg6ac6.jpg
IMG_1107_zpsdn5wqi1r.jpg
IMG_1108_zpswirlxj1g.jpg
IMG_1110_zpsmodvu4ag.jpg

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta tell you, its painful. Every time I wash it I put it on my lift and wipe down all of the stuff that make me proud to own a Raptor. So when I show it off to someone they can appreciate all of the cool features. I hate driving it in the rain, Lol.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice mod. I use a cable I got with my 2002 Dodge Ram to lock the spare (dealership threw it into the deal back in 2003). Cable is long enough to go over the the same frame support you used and then the lock meets the cable on the passenger side at the rear of the frame near the back leaf spring mount right in a hole there. Locked to the frame nice and secure. Bit of a pain to feed it through the wheel and over the frame support but it works.

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was going to be my second option if this one did not work out.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd lubricate that lock frequently when it's up on the lift. I've had to cut off and/or break off many receiver locks that rusted so bad that was no getting them off with a key. I doubt that lock is anything but cheaply chromed carbon steel and will easily rust.

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd lubricate that lock frequently when it's up on the lift. I've had to cut off and/or break off many receiver locks that rusted so bad that was no getting them off with a key. I doubt that lock is anything but cheaply chromed carbon steel and will easily rust.

Thanks for the advice. I pack the lock and key hole with dielectric grease. Also, I used a SS lock and pin for that very reason.

R,
HAP