Can't decide on which route to take.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksutton

Reaction score
Currently have a 2013 Supercrew Roush Stage 1. I use it for work and it serves me 1000x better than my Fx4 did. Plus I haven't paid for gas since I've owned the truck which is sweet.

Truck came with the ADD Stealth front bumper and the rear "Chase Rack". I replaced the rear rack with a different rear rack since the lightbar in the wind was noisy. Found it new on ebay for $950. Actuated light bar has come in handy when hitting mud holes in the middle of the night. Letting me wait until pavement to clean my headlights off. And the front bumper looks great for hitting wildlife and not leaving me stranded.

Dilemma: Whistling in the exhaust. Truck runs rich so I have a good feeling the cats are clogged. Truck even had the blinking check engine light when I was WOT. No codes since it disappeared after a restart. Long tubes look to be a nearly $4k endeavor with tune. Or replacing cats and a tune looks to be less than $1k.

Question: I'm all about functionality. Are long tubes really the best way to spend the extra $3k on the truck as opposed to suspension?

DiUtdcV.jpg

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently have a 2013 Supercrew Roush Stage 1. I use it for work and it serves me 1000x better than my Fx4 did. Plus I haven't paid for gas since I've owned the truck which is sweet.

Truck came with the ADD Stealth front bumper and the rear "Chase Rack". I replaced the rear rack with a different rear rack since the lightbar in the wind was noisy. Found it new on ebay for $950. Actuated light bar has come in handy when hitting mud holes in the middle of the night. Letting me wait until pavement to clean my headlights off. And the front bumper looks great for hitting wildlife and not leaving me stranded.

Dilemma: Whistling in the exhaust. Truck runs rich so I have a good feeling the cats are clogged. Truck even had the blinking check engine light when I was WOT. No codes since it disappeared after a restart. Long tubes look to be a nearly $4k endeavor with tune. Or replacing cats and a tune looks to be less than $1k.

Question: I'm all about functionality. Are long tubes really the best way to spend the extra $3k on the truck as opposed to suspension?

DiUtdcV.jpg
long tubes are going to get you more power and make truck louder. you would be better off going stage 2 with the Roush for a lot cheaper and prob more HP either way you need a new tune. emissions might effect you or not I dont know your rules or if you have a smog guy?

OP
OP
K

ksutton

Reaction score
long tubes are going to get you more power and make truck louder. you would be better off going stage 2 with the Roush for a lot cheaper and prob more HP either way you need a new tune. emissions might effect you or not I dont know your rules or if you have a smog guy?

Stage 2 seems like the easiest $ for $. Actually would like the truck to be quieter. I noticed long tubes made my mustang quieter but louder on WOT which is ideal. Raptor is going to get a back pressure test done today so maybe the cat issue can be confirmed. Lethals sale for headers wasn't that great and isn't until the 24th

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stage 2 seems like the easiest $ for $. Actually would like the truck to be quieter. I noticed long tubes made my mustang quieter but louder on WOT which is ideal. Raptor is going to get a back pressure test done today so maybe the cat issue can be confirmed. Lethals sale for headers wasn't that great and isn't until the 24th

I did the same I installed long tubes and left stock exhaust. I do that on all my cars. I only want it loud at WOT. the Raptor isn't quitter but you def don't notice it very much.
if you do go headers look into the ARH they are smaller diameter than they others and make more power down low where most of us want it. I don't think anyone cares about going 150 mph in a raptor. more 0-80 at least for me.
but saying all that Id still go stage 2 first way easier and cheaper.

have you checked your plugs? not sure how many miles you have but I cant imagine them being good if you have a lot of miles and its as rich as you think. Good luck