Buying salvaged raptors at Auction (Public vs private?)- goal: Trophy truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
It's not going to be a "trophy truck" ever.

I'm on the side of buying a standard F150 and build from there. You can sell off items like body parts and interior pieces to recoup expenses.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

I bet yours will go for a pretty penny.

Or buy a salvaged F150. Raptors are going for a bit more because everyone knows what they are now.

They wanted $15,000 for me to take salvage title. Current bidding is at $12,025. I bet it goes for close to $20,000.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get an older ranger or f150. Thats what I'm doing. Gonna have the thing caged or buy one off race dezert already built. If it's just a play toy just register it for off road use only. That way you dont have to worry about the smog stuff.

Like the other guys said, most of these salvaged raptors still sell pretty high. Ive seen them in the 20k range and up. And I dont think you want a pancake like the ones you posted on the first page.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the idea but let's back up for a second. What parts of a Raptor do you really want or need?

Based on your plans it seems to me there's almost nothing you'd want.

I'm not familiar with laws in California but at what year does smog become a real issue? I ask because, could you start with an old Ford with minimal smog restrictions and build your truck with a crate motor, etc?

If I was doing this I'd want it to be street legal so I could drive it to the off road destinations.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the one that went for a swim but was otherwise intact sell at salvage auction for $32k?

It just seems like it makes a lot more sense to start with a regular F150 or ranger/taco/whatever.

RaptorAddict.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Please do yourself a favor and don't mess with a truck with a twisted frame and smashed cab. It's not worth the headache. Find a decent chassis and cab with frame damage to the rear. And stick with an F-150. No need to use a VIN matching Raptor.