Broken front Driveshaft (3rd time!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to sound like an ASS but it's probably mad at you because you keep referring to it as a "car". Many things the Raptor may be, but "car" it is not.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Are you getting any wheel hop as you spin the tires? CV's on most any IFS 4WD are the weak link. As others have stated you are putting them to the test in the worst possible conditions. Shifting from F to R is loading and unloading the CV's. Throw in turning the wheels L & R which puts the CV's in a bind and I am not surprised you are having issues.

OP
OP
AUH1

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any wheel hop as you spin the tires?

No I'm not. I'm spinning very slowly since the 'TRUCK' :D is stuck

Are the front wheels spinning when your hitting the brakes?

I'm not using the brakes until the wheels come to a stop and I am shifting from R to D

Can you get some pictures? That would be helpful.

I am sorry if you took my comment that way, that is not what I was trying to get across.

Here's a pic from when it happened in March 2011. Not a very good pic but all I have at this point. Will try to get one from dealer if they accept.

I didn't take any of your comments in a bad way just wanted to be clear that I wasn't abusive to the car. I appreciate all the support from everyone on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 130

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hope it helps... I know that this is the weakest link in the Raptor (unless it is blue, and tries to jump) and will get RCV axles when available..

-Greg

OP
OP
AUH1

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back finally today. The dealer replaced the front drive shaft assembly under warranty for the third time. Ford asked them to check the suspension and measure it to make sure it wasn't modified and to check for signs of abuse. Dealer sent a full report that everything looks fine and no signs of abuse.

I was told that this time the problem was with the CV joint and not the drive shaft (unlike the last two times where the drive shaft actually broke into two pieces).

I am looking forward to someone coming up with upgraded parts as this truck is rock solid with the exception of this weak point.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would love to see pictures of the broken parts to have a chance to ascertain if there are any stress risers in the area of failure.
Also check your steering bump stops; is there a bending force exerted on the axel at full lock?