Broken front Driveshaft (3rd time!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2010 6.2L Raptor has just had the front driveshaft broken for the third time. Every time it happens in similar circumstances. Off roading in soft desert sand. In 4H or 4L with Off road mode on and traction control disabled (press and hold). Tires deflated to around 15 psi all around.

In all situations the car started digging in the soft sand and I was trying to get out by alternating from going forward and back while turning the wheel left and right. This is the technique I (and everyone here) uses for many years on different cars and have never had a problem.

The drive shaft snaps and the rubber boot that connects it to the wheel breaks and sprays oil all over the place. I am always able to go back to 2H and drive it safely back home.

The dealer has replaced it twice already under warranty (once left and once right) and now the car is back with them to get repaired again. I know its a matter of time before my warranty expires or they tell me they are not replacing it again.

Does any one have a fix for this problem? I don't mind investing in reinforcing the drive shaft or finding a way to protect it.

toadman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your referring to the "drive axle". Are they breaking at the tire end or up by the short axle?

OP
OP
AUH1

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are breaking on the wheel end. The first 2 times the car was completely stock. The 3rd time was with the middle perch mod.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The conditions you describe are the worst case scenario for a CV shaft (wheels turned, tires bogged down, lots of power). The CV joints loose a lot of load carrying capability when the wheel is turned hard. Upgrading looks like your only option. I have not heard of any current aftermarket upgrades at this point.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The conditions you describe are the worst case scenario for a CV shaft (wheels turned, tires bogged down, lots of power). The CV joints loose a lot of load carrying capability when the wheel is turned hard. Upgrading looks like your only option. I have not heard of any current aftermarket upgrades at this point.

Chris and Alex are working with RCV performance to come up with an upgraded CV axles for the Raptor.

-Greg

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
What exactly is breaking? Is it the shaft itself or the CV? I have not heard of this happening on a Raptor but as stated above, those conditions are tough on a CV. It's hard to imagine the shaft breaking everytime and just how hard you are being on the rocking method could determine the outcome for the CV.

OP
OP
AUH1

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the shaft or the CV. The dealer is going to have a report tomorrow and let me know. I can't imagine a truck with this much power and off road ability has such a weakness. For the record I'm not rocking the car back and forth since it's an automatic transmission. I'm slowly trying to inch it forward, then stopping and shifting to reverse. Not being abusive in any way.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Are the front wheels spinning when your hitting the brakes? I have shattered CVs doing that on my 4Runner. If the wheel is spinning freely, you need to slow it down slowly. It is easy to forget this when your trying to go back and forth. Are the wheels turned when you do this? Remember the further you turn the wheel, the weaker the axles get. If your trying to do this lock to lock you will continue to have this problem.