Brake/Wheel Issue- No idea what else to replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abstorm929

Reaction score
Guys, your help would be greatly appreciated. I've posted a few times in here so far and taken the advice, but still running into the same issue.

Basically my right front wheel is burning up brake pads due to them sticking for some unknown reason. I've replaced two Rotors, multiple pads, caliper, and the brake hose, but the problem is still continuing. Something that I've noticed is that the wheel is hard to turn, even when the brakes aren't engaged, it doesn't spin freely.

Any thoughts? Think it could be the wheel bearing? HELP!!!!!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably still a caliper, caliper bracket or brake hose I bet. I'd replace it all again. I'm guessing you didn't use all new Ford parts? I wouldn't trust any rebuilt caliper 100%. Check the bearing once all the brakes and shit are off. Make sure it's all installed right as it goes back together. Make sure the caliper piston moves easily, check the rotor for flatness/runout with a dial indicator. Check that the pads/caliper/bracket are centered on the rotor. Could have a damaged or defective bracket. Should all spin nicely biut a slight drag when reassembled. Use good synthetic brake grease on the pad ears/slides as well.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe something weird is going on the ABS pump and it won't allow pressure to be released properly from the FR brake.

OP
OP
A

abstorm929

Reaction score
The Caliper was an after market one, so i guess it's possible it could be that. I'm just tired of replacing shit! But maybe a Ford caliper is the way to go. Thank you sir!

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I thought that was a possibility, but that doesn't account for the difficulty turning the wheel. So don't think that is the issue.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with EricM, if the pads are toast something isn't right with either the caliper, bracket, or rotor; beyond that it would have to be the line (not just the flexible one, trace the entire hard line) or the ABS module.

You SURE you got the pads on correctly? Round humps on the inside?

On a side note, if you try to turn the tire/wheel with the engine off, the truck is in 4wd so it's not gonna spin easily. If the IWE is doing it's job, with no vacuum the hub should engage the driveshaft. Sorry if you knew that already, just throwing it out there...

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pads are directional, that could cause issues.

Wheel wont freely spin with the truck off. The IWEs are engaged and youre now turning the front axle and diff.

If the brake hose was damaged, lets say doing brakes and caliper fell and yanked on the hose and pinched it tight, it could cause a small tear internal of the line. That tear will hold brake pressure and act as a check valve in the hose.

Tear it all down, make sure all brake caliper surfaces allow for proper movement. Look online for brake pad orientation also. The inner/outer pads are infact different

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are your pads disintegrating, or when you pull them, what condition are the pads in? scorched? normal use? somewhere between?

IF the wheel isn’t spinning freely without the brakes, does it spin freely with the caliper dismounted?

You may have more than one issue.

If the caliper is sticking, one it’s dangerous and 2 it won’t take long to burn the disk up. I had this happen on an older truck I made it may 1.5-2 miles; out on the highway, hey, this isn’t right, back home and by the time I made it back, the disk was bright red and smoke pouring off of it. My caliper seized; new line, caliper, rotor and back in business.

what is the parts count and in what order?

You should close your eyes, take a deep breath and resign yourself to paying for some factory / OE parts here for the next round of replacement. replace them all again and retest. Maybe test in the garage before the roadway. if it flunks the driveway/garage test, it may be time for a pro. My experience is calipers generally stick from lack of attention to them, lack of maintenance but you shouldn’t be having this on a new, even aftermarket caliper. If the new caliper, hose and pads apply pressure in the garage, but don’t fully release, repeat and see if they continue to get worse or just continue to “drag” if so, your problem may be north of the caliper.

good luck