Brainstorming Potential IWE Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't started a new thread in awhile. So I have an idea, get good ones from time to time. Occasionally a few come to fruition...

Ok we know our IWEs are crap, that's a given. A fabricated spindle has been mentioned in the past as a way to integrate another option such as a locking hub. However the tone rings and wheel speed sensors would pose the main complications.

Here's my idea:

Tie the front wheel speed sensors into the rear. I've actually seen all wheel speed sensors on one tone ring before.

image_zpsi3utruqo.png

Disable traction control and ABS, which would be the next major roadblock.

Then Aftermarket HQ has developed a BRTS ELD Controller to lock the rear dif.

image_zpshnhpynbe.png

At which point the fabricated spindle would be the easy part.

Any suggestions or comments? See any issues with the idea?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't started a new thread in awhile. So I have an idea, get good ones from time to time. Occasionally a few come to fruition...

Ok we know our IWEs are crap, that's a given. A fabricated spindle has been mentioned in the past as a way to integrate another option such as a locking hub. However the tone rings and wheel speed sensors would pose the main complications.

Here's my idea:

Tie the front wheel speed sensors into the rear. I've actually seen all wheel speed sensors on one tone ring before.

image_zpsi3utruqo.png

Disable traction control and ABS, which would be the next major roadblock.

Then Aftermarket HQ has developed a BRTS ELD Controller to lock the rear dif.

image_zpshnhpynbe.png

At which point the fabricated spindle would be the easy part.

Any suggestions or comments? See any issues with the idea?

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the current solution RCV has of having the front end constantly spin a bad idea? I've always wondered of the long term of those

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the current solution RCV has of having the front end constantly spin a bad idea? I've always wondered of the long term of those

Bad on the Axles, CVs, especially boots. Even more so on longer than stock travel applications which I'm running. Had boot problems in the past.

Long run ppl were worried about things further up line.

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if there was a manual locking hub solution like the older F150s. If you go out to play where you may get stuck, manually lock the hubs, then use the switch on the dash to operate the transfer case if needed.

My thoughts exactly! Just making sure there's no potential issues with the idea before I pursue it further. Think I've found workarounds for any electronic potholes so to speak. The computer nannies really hold these trucks back from what they could be.

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan06,
I had a 98.5 and 2004.5 Dodge Cummins with unit bearings; when they failed I replaced them with Dana 60 manual hub conversions. It should be fairly easy to machine Dana 60 compatible spindles to fit the F-150 knuckles. From there it would need only machine a hub/tone ring with the 6 x 135 bolt pattern...however the hub centric centers might be more difficult.
Two problems killed with one conversion...serviceable Timken bearings and the ability to unlock the front without the worries of the IWE's failing...
Eddie

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! If someone could merge this with the other thread it'd be much appreciated. Idk how two threads got started. Blaming my shotty reception...

My idea with the fabricated knuckle is to run a different bearing like Dana 44 (or 60) as @Ditchplains1 mentioned. Which the new flange could be machined to accept our bolt pattern.

However, would do away with our tone rings and sensors ultimately requiring a way to trick the computer.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/alternative-iwe-f150-unit-bearing-38615/index2.html

^I'm really picking up from where was left off there, with computer solutions.

Last edited:

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One problem I see with a D60 type hub. How to connect the half shafts. I am out of the loop fabrication wise and rusty at drivetrain design.

Can you make a half shaft with a U-joint at one end and a CV joint at the other AND not have vibration?