on board air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the compressor holding up? I am afraid the bed side sheet metal is too thin to hold the weight, consider the up/down force when offroading... after all the compressor is nearly 20lb already.

no issues at all. its not even loose. and the rain hasn't been an issue either.

JnJraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, just got done yesterday with the installation of the ARB twin compressor and dual lines and connection points.

we mounted the compressor against the bed wall and ran the main hose to a "T" under the truck. (these pics were taken before completion and the wires and hoses are now neatly ran and tied up)

Then we ran 1/4 id tubing to the front and another to the rear and on each end of the truck installed the quick push pull connection that comes with the compressor (i bought a second one) this allows me to connect a hose at either end of the truck for filling my tires or a buddy's.

we installed a second set of up-fitter switches in the dash and used #4 to fire the relay to turn the compressor on. the compressor is connected directly to the batter with 10gauge wire and 40amp fuses. its a robust system.

this set up works great for me and is a very clean install that will work when i hunt out of the truck and for offroad events. I could have installed the compressor in the cab but wanted to limit cab penetrations and generally speaking, keep the compressor outside.

I've got 1gal and a 2.5 gal tanks on order and may install one for Raptor runs and other off road use. this is TBD.

hope this info helps someone..

I am looking at this same set up. I want to wire to the standard upfitter switches in the truck. Did the compressor come with a relay that allowed you to do that, or did you purchase something else? I was thinking of wiring switch to the warn power interrupt kit if it didn't come with the right stuff.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking at this same set up. I want to wire to the standard upfitter switches in the truck. Did the compressor come with a relay that allowed you to do that, or did you purchase something else? I was thinking of wiring switch to the warn power interrupt kit if it didn't come with the right stuff.

Marc hasn't been around in a while. The hornblasters kits come with everything you would need. They're designed so that you hard wire the pump and then your pressure switch is ran to a switched power source. IIRC Marc had his ran so that his primary power lead to the pump was switched so that he could prevent any battery drain or accidental running. This would've required another relay capable of handling the compressors load.

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to bump this but OP that looks good as hell

This is a good thread to bump. Very useful mod information.

I just got my ARB twin compressor and Viair tank. I plan on mounting the tank above the spare and the compressor on the front bed wall. I just need to find a good threadsert. Most seem to be limited to aluminum, so I assume I need a different one for steel.

Unfortunately, I can't do the install myself due to back issues. I'd like to find a good shop in the Tampa, FL area to do the install, or wait until after back surgery.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good thread to bump. Very useful mod information.

I just got my ARB twin compressor and Viair tank. I plan on mounting the tank above the spare and the compressor on the front bed wall. I just need to find a good threadsert. Most seem to be limited to aluminum, so I assume I need a different one for steel.

Unfortunately, I can't do the install myself due to back issues. I'd like to find a good shop in the Tampa, FL area to do the install, or wait until after back surgery.

It is a nice set up in that location. Personally, I dont like nutserts. I've used them for years in my work and the ones good enough to hold much weight or not work loose require a good nutsert tool to install. I mounted a Hi Lift jack & shovel in that location with bolts and the nuts between the inner & outer panel. It took 2 people with a wrench clamped to a long enough bar to reach up between the panels that high, but I dont have to worry about it. food for thought.

roboman

Reaction score
Hello,
I wired up a twin ARB air compressor to my toolbox in the bed of the truck. At first, I ran a 4 gage wire back to the toolbox (without a fuse by the battery) and thinking about it over and over...decided to put a 40 amp breaker at the battery....glad I did. I attached the diagram of what I did, but the circuit keeps tripping. I am no electrician, but I figured if the ARB has two 20 AMP fuses, then I should have at least 40 amps. I also read in another post to use Aux4 (Brown wire) to switch on and off....that works, but I am not sure why my circuit keeps tripping. Also, do I need a relay? I wouldn't think so since the switches are connected to a relay. I also wonder if I really need to ground the switch wire from the ARB since the uplifter is already grounded. Any help on this would be appreciated. I included a diagram of my mess.

arb_wired.JPG

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also circuit breakers dont work well in the engine bay especially when close to max current flow. circuit breakers work by heat and the heat the engine produces will cause the breaker to open prematurely (insert mom joke or thats what she said joke here)