on board air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for trying!! :)
You're welcome. I ran it again with a viair 1gal tank and it worked fine for removing lug nuts. Reinstalling them, it fell a little short but not prohibitive. I hastily plugged several of the tank connection points and all were leaking so it wasn't a true test of the tank. I'll be installing it tomorrow and trying again with no leaks.

I'm pretty sure the system would be totally fine with the 2.5 tank but for now were gonna stick with the smaller because we can mount it to the bed rack which comes out for hunt season and I won't need the tank then. . Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I ran it again with a viair 1gal tank and it worked fine for removing lug nuts. Reinstalling them, it fell a little short but not prohibitive. I hastily plugged several of the tank connection points and all were leaking so it wasn't a true test of the tank. I'll be installing it tomorrow and trying again with no leaks.

I'm pretty sure the system would be totally fine with the 2.5 tank but for now were gonna stick with the smaller because we can mount it to the bed rack which comes out for hunt season and I won't need the tank then. . Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
i have 2 tanks mounted under the passenger on the side frame and another smaller 2gallon tank above my spare. maybe think about one of those mounting locations? that way you wont have to ever remove them

@Yukon Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also curious how do you mount it up there... self-tapping?

we used what looked to me like heavy duty, short, hollow wall anchors but they were some king of threaded anchor/rivet. (drill a hole, shove this in, screw a screw into and it expands against the inside surface and outside surfface-permanent)

My guy did that part and only showed me the part when I asked the same question. I'll see if i remember to ask him for a part name.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

i have 2 tanks mounted under the passenger on the side frame and another smaller 2gallon tank above my spare. maybe think about one of those mounting locations? that way you wont have to ever remove them

Great suggestion...I was on my back last night holding the 2 gal tank against the frame on the passenger side..perfect location, and my plan is to figure out how to mount it there today.

any suggestions on how to fasten it to the frame? drill and bolt? something else? velcro? epoxy, small aliens with strong hands? :)

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used the bolts and clips that i had extra when i replaced my bumper. 2of the holes lined up with existing oem holes already cut into the frame. the remaining, i went anead and drilled out. as for my 3rd tank above my spare, i built a bracket

@Yukon Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like thread sert. That would be a clean way to be able to bolt it place. Tim https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0126105 ---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ---------- Also Harbor Freight has their version of the tools and sert . http://m.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fturningwrench.com%2Ftool-review-harbor-freight-threaded-insert-tool%2F12

Yup. Ours were called nut-sert or rivet nuts. Same tool.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

i used the bolts and clips that i had extra when i replaced my bumper. 2of the holes lined up with existing oem holes already cut into the frame. the remaining, i went anead and drilled out. as for my 3rd tank above my spare, i built a bracket

Thank you. I'll look to do the same. Hoping at least some of the oem holes line up!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so here are the pics i promised. dont mind the thin metal strap. it is just used as a spacer so the tank has no gaps between the frame and bed. this is above the spare and a 2 gallon tank i got from james at alternative.

@Yukon Joe

Attachments

• DSC_6277.jpg
    DSC_6277.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_6279.jpg
    DSC_6279.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_6280.jpg
    DSC_6280.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited: