Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
It's recommended to use 93+ for gen 1 as well. Otherwise it will pull timing and you will lose approx 10-12hp. It's even in the owners manual. Granted most people will never even feel that difference, but combined with some slight knocking is enough to use 93+ exclusively.

Unless you live your life exclusively part throttle, then you can save some yourself some money at the pump, but if your the type that like to hit it most days, then it would be in your interests to go 93.

Contrary to popular belief, higher octane doesn't make more power by itself. In layman's terms It's burn point is actually "slower" than lower octane fuel, allowing a more controlled burn, and keeping pre-ignition (detonation) at bay. higher octane will allow for more ignition advance and/or higher boost, thus producing more power.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this in Gen 2, search doesn't show it for Gen 1. What y'all running? Tell any power diff? Mileage diff?
I run 87, have put premium and found no mileage or power diff. Seems crazy to pay the extra if it does nothing or does not help. Thoughts?
I bet I know how Wilson gonna answer! :biggrin::biggrin:

I posted another thread on this topic this morning. I just switched from 87 to 93 on my Gen 2 because it was in the shop for a total of 16 days out of the first month or so that I have owned it because it did not accelerate smoothly on 87 octane. I have only driven it 50 or so miles on 93, but my issue appears to have gone away; it is driving great!!!! As for mileage and power, those seem to be the same, but I haven't driven enough miles to know for sure.

Last edited: