Best brake setups/places to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the R1 drilled / slotted rotors and pads all the way around on my 12 Raptor. These have been on the truck two years now (almost 30,000 miles) and I love them. It still astounds me how quickly they can slow this heavy truck down. Here are some pictures from after I installed them.

Brakes%2B2.jpg

Brakes%2B5.jpg

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the R1's on my 2010, and they're just incredible on how much stopping power they have. So much so, the wife is getting R1's on her CTS next weekend.

As we all know, new brakes are great, at first, but then fade starts to happen and the stopping power slowly get to a 'NORMAL" feel. Not these bad boys! They will throw you towards the windshield with just a quick tap of the brakes.

I do not have the SS lines, yet, but I want them more for the protection factor than anything, and performance will increase even more. Brake dust is pretty much non existent

FREEDOM MOTORSPORTS has taken care of me with all my Raptor needs, and has been on point with everything, even suggesting other vendors, because they wouldn't get me my items in time of an event because of lead times. You can't go wrong with Chris and his team!

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chris I'm pleasantly surprised by the way you have stepped up to this both here and on book face in the form of paid advertising requesting feedback and regular posts. I would definitely consider doing business with you guys if rsi shuts its doors one day.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It would be nice to see a couple more pro R1 statements from members without an agenda. Just sayin'.

I enjoy my R1 concept brakes. I have the premium ceramic pad and cross drilled and slotted rotors. Along with the SS SDHQ brake lines.

They stop like a bitch, until snoball 3. I have about 30,000 miles on the brakes. The front still look brand new. The rear however have worn to almost nothing. Turns out it was a caliper that wasn't working just right and caused the pad to start wearing into the rotor. I had the caliper replaced under Ford ESP. But they would not cover replacement of the pad or rotor since it was aftermarket. So I called @Chris@FreedomMotorsports and explained the situation. I was also getting ready for a weekend meet up / run. So time was short. Chris said he would speak to the R1 Concept rep and get back to me. They requested some photos of the rotor and brake pads. I send everything via email. Within that day, Chris informed me that they would cover 1 rotor and 2 sets of pads for the rear of the truck at no charge to me. Outstanding! I got everything delivered in a few days from California.

To the OP:
Some things to note regarding the R1 Concept cross drilled rotors; if you plan to off-road your truck though mud and muck like I do, you may want to consider going with only the slotted rotors. The drilled holes in the rotor can get filled with mud and case the brakes to squeal. What I typically do is when I rotate the tires, I use a small screw driver and push it through each hole to knock out the dried mud.

The other thing you need to do, and I think this will go with any brakes you upgrade to, is perform the brake in period as recommended.

Happy :driver:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris I'm pleasantly surprised by the way you have stepped up to this both here and on book face in the form of paid advertising requesting feedback and regular posts. I would definitely consider doing business with you guys if rsi shuts its doors one day.

My main agenda is providing what I feel to be the best overall value to my customers. I also do not hide from the truth, I stand by the products and look forward to inviting honest unbiased opinions about the products I offer.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have EBC GD rotors and Orange HD brake pads. I am extremely happy.

I use this combination based on conversations I have had with EBC brakes, and setting up an option to fit my needs.

I hear great things about R1, but my choice is to stay away from drilled rotors (I know R1 offers rotors not drilled).

I contacted a number of companies before I made my choice. EBC made the best case, based on field testing, answering my questions, listening to how I use my truck. They have also been very helpful when shopping for parts for my H3 and Pontiac. Their customer service has been great.

You can't go wrong with either one.

I have all the EBC PNs for 2012+ and 2010 / 11 in an email someplace.