Bent Frames or Body Mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a thread has been started on this subject or not but I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone dealt with a bent frame or body mount? going through insurance, was it deemed a total loss? frame replacement? frame repair? and what was the outcome of the whole situation? I'd like to hear and see what other cases are out there.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know it was not marked as totaled since the insurance fixed it.. Totaled means the cost to repair exceeds an arbitrary number the insurance company comes up with. There formula includes the price they can resell the vehicle labeled with salvage title, the actual cost of repairs, and estimated hidden cost. Insurance companies want to make money so they do what costs them the least..

Last edited:

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a thread has been started on this subject or not but I figured I'd ask.

Has anyone dealt with a bent frame or body mount? going through insurance, was it deemed a total loss? frame replacement? frame repair? and what was the outcome of the whole situation? I'd like to hear and see what other cases are out there.

Mine has been through full frame swap due to an incident offloading ripped out the front drivers side lower control arm and it bent the front frame section. Insurance tried to do the we will get the new front frame section and weld it on but they are on backorder with a code d99 which means Ford will never supply it. I forced them to do the full frame because of it. Push for the full frame it is a $600 difference in cost and Ford can have it done in 2 weeks. Truck is better than new but of course I upgraded all the front components at the same time. They won't total these they are worth too much money. Mine was a hair over 20K and I only paid my $500 deductible they covered all aftermarket stuff too.

OP
OP
SVT_Aaron

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been through full frame swap due to an incident offloading ripped out the front drivers side lower control arm and it bent the front frame section. Insurance tried to do the we will get the new front frame section and weld it on but they are on backorder with a code d99 which means Ford will never supply it. I forced them to do the full frame because of it. Push for the full frame it is a $600 difference in cost and Ford can have it done in 2 weeks. Truck is better than new but of course I upgraded all the front components at the same time. They won't total these they are worth too much money. Mine was a hair over 20K and I only paid my $500 deductible they covered all aftermarket stuff too.

thats not bad, its a good thing they did the full frame swap. Sucks that they tried playing that game, but a good thing it was all taken care of and replaced!

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I know it was not marked as totaled since the insurance fixed it.. Totaled means the cost to repair exceeds an arbitrary number the insurance company comes up with. There formula includes the price they can resell the vehicle labeled with salvage title, the actual cost of repairs, and estimated hidden cost. Insurance companies want to make money so they do what costs them the least..

So say a body mount was bent and was the main concern for the body shop, would they be able to just consider it a loss for the frame? on top an 11K estimate for other repairs.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats not bad, its a good thing they did the full frame swap. Sucks that they tried playing that game, but a good thing it was all taken care of and replaced!

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

So say a body mount was bent and was the main concern for the body shop, would they be able to just consider it a loss for the frame? on top an 11K estimate for other repairs.

For insurance companies they look only at dollars and they absolutely don't use any feelings in making decisions.. An inside look would be to try to be arbitrary and just look at the numbers. If you could sell it in its current damaged condition what is it worth.. insurance companies know this number and are never off by much, they do it for a living. Cost of repairs, what is the shop charging them for repairs and what is the anticipated repair cost going to be.. This again is not the number you started with it is the final number they know it going in... So then you come up with paying the claim, is it cheaper to fix in the end or repair it. If they sell your truck for 25,000 damaged and the cost to make you whole again is 48,000 then 22,999 is the most amount the insurance wants to pay for repairs.. A Raptor frame is about 7,000 so in your equation on top of the 11,000 it would make sense to do the repairs... But swapping a frame can be a sky rocketing affair and will settle about 15,000 just for that...

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the state you live in. Op, in Texas frame replacements are not allowed due to dmv regulations.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

they do it for a living.

What I do. pm me if you have any questions

OP
OP
SVT_Aaron

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For insurance companies they look only at dollars and they absolutely don't use any feelings in making decisions.. An inside look would be to try to be arbitrary and just look at the numbers. If you could sell it in its current damaged condition what is it worth.. insurance companies know this number and are never off by much, they do it for a living. Cost of repairs, what is the shop charging them for repairs and what is the anticipated repair cost going to be.. This again is not the number you started with it is the final number they know it going in... So then you come up with paying the claim, is it cheaper to fix in the end or repair it. If they sell your truck for 25,000 damaged and the cost to make you whole again is 48,000 then 22,999 is the most amount the insurance wants to pay for repairs.. A Raptor frame is about 7,000 so in your equation on top of the 11,000 it would make sense to do the repairs... But swapping a frame can be a sky rocketing affair and will settle about 15,000 just for that...

That makes a lot more sense. After replying to you yesterday I found out that they will be doing a full frame swap, frame estimate came out to 8K on top of the existing 11K for other repairs. I was told that my insurance would cover up to 33K in damages and if I reach that amount then is when they would consider it a total loss. thanks for all the info, very interesting stuff and also very helpful!

MNWILKO

Reaction score
Did any of your insurance companies hassle you abut this damage happening off road? Do you have off road coverage written in your policy? I have state farm and they have always taken care of me but I am always fearful of them denying a claim from off road damage if one was to come up...