ATV in Truck Bed - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesposito

Reaction score
Going to take my ATV to the mountains. Instead of getting a trailer I thought maybe this would work. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive each way - Northern VA to WV. Wondering if this would be too hard on the rear fold down door since both back tires are resting on it. Weight of the ATV is 750lbs. Thoughts.

Attachments

• truck-atv.jpg
    truck-atv.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 210

IRONMAN

Reaction score
WOW! 750lb so half 375 roughly on that tail gate. Seems like a lot but I'm not sure what they're rated for.
I wouldn't do it but thats me. I can't see those little cables holding that thing through bumps and what not
for that long with out there being some problems.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Now if you had some 2X8's the length of the bed and tail gate under the tires I'd do it.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will be fine but if it breaks. You are on your own. I put more than 400# on my tailgate every time I go SCUBA diving, but I am not driving around.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what Iron said. It dissipates the weight evenly all over the bed

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, can you back the ATV onto the truck so you drive off forward? My reasoning is, that's a nice box you have on the back, and that's just extra weight on the tail gate.

Also those cables are not rocket science... I bet you could get the loop parts that go over the bolts on the side and get a thicker cable to make your own that's stronger????

Eh? If it falls off, that's what insurance is for right? To protect you from yourself, hahahaha.

nodak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure ul be fine. We load our 4whealer like that when we go fencing and the back tires are on the tailgate plus a few roles of wire. i would be very disappointed in our trucks if that breaks the tailgate.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Someone should fab up a Reese hitch attachment with a large flat grate the same size as the tailgate. Remove tailgate, install hitch attachment, setup ramps - and no worries.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my Canam max LTD 800 with 175 lb plow in mine. I drove it from Munsing, Mi to Va

Attachments

• loaded1.jpg
    loaded1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 273
  • loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
mesposito

mesposito

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Something just dawned on me. To get up to my property i have to take a rock/gravel road for about 25 minutes. With truck bed door down would it catch a bunch of debris/rock from the back tires thus damaging the paint/finish on the exterior of the door.