Attn mud & high water drivers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is in my buddies shop right now having the axles, transmission, and transfer case fluid changed. After a few trips in some high water " to the running boards" and playing in some decent mud I thought I'd change all my fluids. Both axles had water in them, and I was no where near the vent tube with the water, all my seals are good btw. If you have played like I do I strongly recommend checking your fluids to.

Dave

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok put me in my place........ how did water get into your axle? thats got to be not good...... what kind of damage can become of this?

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4yrevava.jpg
ok put me in my place........ how did water get into your axle? thats got to be not good...... what kind of damage can become of this?

Defiantly not good!!! This can lead to total failure! I have no freaking clue how it got in there. Anyone have a idea please chime in.

Dave

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
dont know bud.... maybe you got a faulty seal.
I have been past the running boards in water many times, river crossings , being stupid ect.
Although i did change my fluids after I never had any water in there. Have changed fluids 3 times, saw some very slight contamination but nothing crazy like your pics.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check your vent tubes for cracks or breaks. If you were not up to the top of the vent, then there is a leak someplace

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really only can come in thru the vent. if you had a seal leak you would be leaking diff fluid. jack

That was my next question, can water get in the seals since the oil is so much thicker? The vent tubes all look good and there is no sign at all of a leak anywhere.

Dave

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you put the truck under stress, the fluids are under pressure, not a lot but they would push the lubes out, not suck the water in like that. I agree that there has to be a failure in the vent tube somewhere. That is a LOT of water.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maybe the seals could leak the water in if you were to sit in the water for a long time. maybe a 30 minutes. i have seen water in diffs before but usually guys who tow boats and put the truck too far in at the launch ramp. now there is a switch at the rear diff for the locking rear diff. if that seal were leaking you might not get a oil leak up that high. but that is on the rear on my truck. my front is a open diff not a locker. so no switch in the front.