Any real evidence / chance values hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Who said I was proud of losing money? I am proud to own a raptor if I am proud about anything.

Pretty much anyone here at FRF that actually owns a Raptor has and or will lose money. Mods are not cheap.

FRF members have to walk the fine line between those who want to get in to a Raptor cheap for what ever reason and those who want to be able to sell their Raptor after 3-4 years for as much as they can.

Like Rick I'm not getting rid of my Raptor ever so the price can drop to $7 or up to $70k I don't care. OK maybe I lie on not selling if I was offered $70k but since nobody will be doing that I know I won't be selling.

If the '17 Raptor is well above 60k I think there will be a Gen1 demand, especially on the creampuffs that have never been off-road.

Realistically the Gen1 Raptor will drop some in value but given that it's value is way overvalued right now I'd say Gen1 owners will be happy if they sell and prospective Gen1 owners will be OK with the price drop.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5: even though this topic has been beaten to death I'll throw my thoughts in. Will the value of our trucks drop? Ya probably but who cares. I don't plan on selling either of mine anytime soon plus when I was standing at the dealership after my test drive the last thing on my mind was if I would lose a little bit of money whenever I decided to sell. I actually made the mistake of selling my first Roush Raptor because someone offered me a retarded amount of money for it that at the time I thought I would be stupid to pass up. Well guess what immediately regretted it and started looking for another one about two weeks later. Sometimes it's not about the money it's about how awesome these trucks are and the community that comes with it. So if you're asking should you sell your truck now while the prices are up so you can get a Gen2 in 17' when they come out it really depends on if getting a couple of grand more now is worth not having a Raptor to drive for the next year and a half. For me the answer is no. I couldn't go more than two weeks when I sold my first one.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. 99% of vehicles value drops over time. This ain't no limited run supercar (ala GT/Enzo etc)
2. As these trucks get older, the amount people can borrow for said truck will decrease. It then becomes a buyers market and prices will drop over time.
3. Very little is known about the 2017's. Price? How it handles real world testing?
3a. If the truck comes in at a higher base price, then the Gen 1's may not drop in value that fast. If it comes within a grand or two, then the Gen 1 may take a bigger hit. who knows.
4. There's no sound proof that these trucks will retain their value, or tank in value when the Gen 2's come out. If you're worried about losing value on your truck, sell now while the market is still a sellers market. That we know.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my thoughts. I have my truck, I know what it is and will do. As far as the 2017, it is what Ford says it will be and will do. They have never embellished the truth to sell products. So that being said, until the 2017 is out and folks really drive and own it and post (here on FRF) about it, how can we have any Real Evidence?

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a better time to sell your raptor, summer vs winter?

I would think that might vary by where you are in the country, figure not many folks up north look in dead of cold, snowy winter days. Same as I would not think folks would look as much in 100 degree heat and thunderstorms down south or west. :biggrin:

That being said no time is best time to sell a Raptor!

Last edited:

PC12driver

Reaction score
Let the new one come out, let them fix the beta version problems and buy when the initial luster of the "new one" wears off. They'll be enough differential in price that the buyer for your truck will likely not be in the market for a brand new machine. The current loaded up platinum trim f150 is over $65k. My guess is the new one will be north of that. But, the best deal will come from being patient. The dealer premiums will be paid by those who charge in the day they roll off the transporter.

Aircraft and Moto Pilot
"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

Dutch451

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a theory (nothing solid), that we might see certain Gen1 values slightly increase once the Gen2's come out. I also see dealerships offering more for Gen1's in trade in with the Gen2's.

There are always those people who want the newest, even if it's not the best. I was at the dealership yesterday getting the wifes Focus looked at (transmission control module took a dump), and one of the managers asked if I was considering a Gen 2, or a trade in general, and if I wanted a call when they had a date of when they'll be getting their first shipment... all I can assume from that is they're going to try and get more Gen 1's in for those who want a Raptor but don't want to pay new prices, or can't afford new pricing.

FWIW, I told them the only thing I'd trade my truck for is a Supercharged GT350R... he just laughed at me, so I assume they don't have the means or the willingness to get one.

A couple months after I bought the truck they offered me $49k to buy it, which I happily declined, yesterday the offer went up to $50k... I only paid $50,666 after taxes and fee's, so it wouldn't be a horrible deal, except I wouldn't have my truck anymore, and that gives me the sads.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The closest thing to evidence is that old rigs in perfect condition get way more than the original cost. That proof is on the auto auctions on TV. Buy it, park it for 20 years and you WILL make money.

Drive it hard and it will lose money right off the lot. Look at current sales. Minty trucks get more than new cost... beat/highly modded (suspected hard driving even if they look good) get less and really don't recover mod costs.