Any real evidence / chance values hold up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaibaa

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2014 Blue Raptor SCREW, all options and about 15k miles. We all know the values are holding up really well right now -- and I've read a lot on here that values will continue to hold up/etc. I wanted to start a discussion about this and see if there is something I'm missing.

If you have an opinion/point I haven't listed, could you please state it without lobbying and getting emotional.

Pro's of Gen 1:
V8, some people would prefer
More bespoke parts
Proven transmission
Proven front drive system
Cheaper?

Pro's of Gen 2:
Lighter
Better electronics/tech
More features in general (illuminated bed, trailer parking system, etc)
10 speed transmission
Stronger engine, easier to extract ~20% more power
Newer
More upfitters
Better suspension (advertised)

Right now there just aren't THAT many raptors on the market. When the new one arrives, I think it's fair to say that a percentage of owners will immediately wish to upgrade, which would increase the supply of Gen 1 Raptors on the market.

Even if the new raptor is a flop, the current Raptor demand would be split between Gen 1 and Gen 2, with lots of Gen 2's coming on the market, and also lots of Gen 1's from upgrades.

Is there any feasible way that the Raptor values don't drop 10K in the next 6 months?

Thanks for your input!

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the price point on the GEN 2 will be prohibitive to many so I would think that for the first two years the GEN 1 will hold value very well.
But in my opinion the only thing that really matters is do you still love your truck. If you do then it has a lot of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

schaibaa

Reaction score
Don't forget the price point on the GEN 2 will be prohibitive to many so I would think that for the first two years the GEN 1 will hold value very well.
But in my opinion the only thing that really matters is do you still love your truck. If you do then it has a lot of value.

Have you seen anything that suggests the MSRP will be north of 60?

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not certain but I thought it was going to be in the mid 70s. Maybe wrong tho

OP
OP
S

schaibaa

Reaction score
Not certain but I thought it was going to be in the mid 70s. Maybe wrong tho

OK, that would definitely have an impact. Everything I've read says they will top out around 60k. The 2014 had a similar sticker price to the top end (platinum at the time). Looks like the 2016 F150 limited with everything on it tops out around 65k. I could see the raptor sticker price around the same -- so good point.

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a consideration is all.
People are going to have a choice of two really cool designs.
Time will tell which is better, but smart money is with technology. But only after a year or two as the design gets worked over.

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Educating yourself on what to look for now is good. Understand what to look for in aftermarket mods so you can gauge how well the rig was built will help you save money on your purchase when you are ready

D

Deleted member 12951

This topic has been beaten to death here. Every truck and or vehicle I've ever owned has lost value. I had 2011 King Ranch that had a sticker around $50k but paid about $44k. Traded it for around $30k in less than 3yrs. Had 2008 truck before that that was around $47k sticker, kept for 3yrs and traded for $25k. Losing resale is the norm on vehicles and to be expected, you get used to it and you accept it.

I did not buy this truck for resale and I definitely don't plan on trading it off after 3yrs like I have always done in the past. I love this truck, the community it brings and the fun I have driving it both on road and off.

I honestly do not care that much if my truck loses resale, I really don't. I know it will lose resale when comparing it to another truck of the same year, it will still have a better resale than if I spent the same money on a different truck for as long as I keep it.

OP
OP
S

schaibaa

Reaction score
This topic has been beaten to death here. Every truck and or vehicle I've ever owned has lost value. I had 2011 King Ranch that had a sticker around $50k but paid about $44k. Traded it for around $30k in less than 3yrs. Had 2008 truck before that that was around $47k sticker, kept for 3yrs and traded for $25k. Losing resale is the norm on vehicles and to be expected, you get used to it and you accept it.

I did not buy this truck for resale and I definitely don't plan on trading it off after 3yrs like I have always done in the past. I love this truck, the community it brings and the fun I have driving it both on road and off.

I honestly do not care that much if my truck loses resale, I really don't. I know it will lose resale when comparing it to another truck of the same year, it will still have a better resale than if I spent the same money on a different truck for as long as I keep it.

These paragraphs have nothing To do with the question. The point of this thread is to determine when the best time to sell if you want to upgrade to the 2017. Depreciation is to be expected but I'm not sure why you appear to be proud of losing money (more than necessary in this case).

I've read several threads lobbying that prices might remain stable but they were all emotional - just wondering if anyone had any facts to support that.