ADD Custom Bed Rack, "BigJ" style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth in my head about what-to-do-with-all-my-crap since I got the truck. I carry an assload of tools, a cooler, gas, water, and other camping gear any time I head out, and really hate how horribly it all fits. It seems I always come home with something or other broke or leaking or shattered after a day or three out in the wild.

The final straw came when I made the Baker dovetail mod, and I lost my spare mount. That pretty much forced me into doing *something* since carrying a spare deep off road IMHO is not optional.

I gave serious consideration to several of the bed rack options available today, as well as developing something completely new that uses the hitch. In the end, I settled on an idea and called Micah at ADD. Fast forward and here's where they're at so far.

6.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_4.jpg

Up against the cab, aka the front of the bed, are 4x 2gal RotopaX gas cans (the yellows will be replaced with new reds). Right behind them the spare will be mounted on a slight upward angle, and behind it the 65qt Yeti cooler will be strapped down. To the right side (passenger) will be two more 2 gal RotoPax containers I plan to use for water (the yellow will be replaced by blues or whites). Between the bedwall and gas cans on the right side is a mounting plate ready for a 10gal CO2 tank if/when I pick one up.

And where he's holding the cardboard will go a bin for my tools.
5.jpg

Not shown in the pic (since its not my bed) is that there's still plenty of room for my HiLift jack mount. Also, my OEM tailgate extenders will go bye bye for extra bag space.

Everything heavy will be tied or locked down and aint gonna budge, and I'll still have plenty of room for all my bags and gear. And maybe best of all is that everything will fit under my FoldACover bed cover.

PS: Anyone want to guess why things are biased toward the passenger side? ;)

All will be done and installed this coming Wednesday as I head out to the Texas Raptor Run. These guys are jumping thru hoops to make it happen for me, and I can't wait to get it installed and show it off at the Run! More pics to come of their progress, the install and finished product. :peace:

Last edited:

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it - a bed rack similar to this is somewhere in my future plans. Is it removable with quick release pins?

Can't wait to see it next weekend !

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! Any you decided not to go with more than one tire other than room?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like it - a bed rack similar to this is somewhere in my future plans. Is it removable with quick release pins?

Can't wait to see it next weekend !
Absolutely (and I forgot to mention it will still work with my BedRug too). We're going to install it with bolts where the pins would go instead, but pins will be included for later if needed. I don't think i'll be taking it out very often so I'll run with the bolts to start and use the pins if I change my mind.

But yeah, there are cups that will mount permanently to where the bed bolts to the frame (4), and the rack will slide over those cups and be secured to them either via bolts or pins.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Looks pretty good! Any you decided not to go with more than one tire other than room?
Exactly. If/when I decide to go with 2 tires, I'll come up with a hitch mount for the second tire. There was just no way to fit two, all my fluids and gear AND still use a bed cover.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was going to take a guess, because you and the fuel tank are on the passenger side.

Only reason I say this is because when I was removing my swaybar. I noticed on my truck all the weight (gas tank 250 lbs +/- plus driver 210) all on driverside. I am also biasing my cargo load to passenger side.

-Greg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was going to take a guess, because you and the fuel tank are on the passenger side.

Only reason I say this is because when I was removing my swaybar. I noticed on my truck all the weight (gas tank 250 lbs +/- plus driver 210) all on driverside. I am also biasing my cargo load to passenger side.

-Greg
Yes sir! My wife is a featherweight relatively speaking, so her weight doesn't do anything to help level it out when we're fully loaded up. All the gear on the passenger side is the difference maker. It really does help with handling.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely (and I forgot to mention it will still work with my BedRug too). We're going to install it with bolts where the pins would go instead, but pins will be included for later if needed. I don't think i'll be taking it out very often so I'll run with the bolts to start and use the pins if I change my mind.

But yeah, there are cups that will mount permanently to where the bed bolts to the frame (4), and the rack will slide over those cups and be secured to them either via bolts or pins.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Exactly. If/when I decide to go with 2 tires, I'll come up with a hitch mount for the second tire. There was just no way to fit two, all my fluids and gear AND still use a bed cover.

The bed cover thats what got me! :birgits_tiredcoffee

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awsome as usual BigJ... I have been looking for something like this. Keep stealthy under bakflip, and pass side biased. Maybe for the next Texas Raptor run.

This year, duct tape, bailing wire and straps..

-Greg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awsome as usual BigJ... I have been looking for something like this. Keep stealthy under bakflip, and pass side biased. Maybe for the next Texas Raptor run.

This year, duct tape, bailing wire and straps..

-Greg
Don't forget the ball bearings... its all ball bearings these days guys...

:peace: :peace:

Don't feel bad G. Its taken me two trucks and 4 years to pull the trigger on something like this. It just takes time to figure out what exactly you want, and how to make it all fit. And I gotta say having someone like Micah and his guys team up has made the difference between my way-to-horrible-to-show-anyone-ever-again MSPaint drawing and something that you see coming to life in the pics. ADD has been key in figuring how to take what I asked for, and making it real.