Abrupt fuel mileage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. I get 1-2mpg less using 87 vs 93 on good fuel (BP, Shell, Chevron).

Use crappy gas and it will drop another 2-3.

However, I'm gathering some long term data now on whether it will be cheaper to use 87 and get worse economy, or spend more on 93 and get better fuel economy.

I found similar results. As far as long term just considering fuel, 87 is a little cheaper. However in the end will be way more costly.
One example, for the ecu to compensate for the lower quality fuel the detonation sensor must be set off. Detonation is something that will hammer the bearings away. It is just an instant, but over time...
Not to mention carbon build up on a poorer quality fuel
So in the end, premium fuel is much cheaper ;)
The only thing i ever put 87 in is a rental car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watch my mpg constantly and know what it likes. Had a change in work commute route and going from winter to summer fuel and had a big jump. Was mostly 16mpg but ran into some bad traffic last tank but still did well.

20170519_182804_zpsuzf61lzw.jpg

That's 15.6mpg.

Last edited:

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man thats sounds way low. I have the 91 octane tune and everything else stock. My mileage is prob 75% city and it averaged upper 11s-low 12s.

I agree. My driving is mixed city and highway with hills and whatnot. Average 12.5-13 mpg and that's with 93 oct SVC tune plus 37's.