6.2 and trans shifting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a stupid question. I drove both the 5.4 and 6.2 prior to buying. I did not notice on either drive, but now that I have my 6.2 and drive it daily I feel a trans shift possible issue. I was told the shift points are different for the trans, but does anyone with the same setup have a hard shift from first to second? More when cold or on start but, but no matter how I start off, it sort of slams into second. If I start off hard it is less noticeable! Any thoughts or comments?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't comment on the 6.2, but the 5.4 shifts pretty abruptly between 1 and 2 as well. And depending on conditions, you'll almost feel the truck shutter. This is especially true downshifting from 2 to 1.

Looking forward to some 6.2 guys' comments. But I can tell ya for sure the 5.4 does it.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the 6.2, but the 5.4 shifts pretty abruptly between 1 and 2 as well. And depending on conditions, you'll almost feel the truck shutter. This is especially true downshifting from 2 to 1.

Looking forward to some 6.2 guys' comments. But I can tell ya for sure the 5.4 does it.

Does your 5.4 shift from 1st to 2nd seem "less" abrupt if you take off with more speed, or does it feel worse at slower take off's?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep. Less abrupt. Makes good sense I think; there's a lot more power there to speed up the shift. It basically blasts thru the shift, making is hit quicker and firmer. At slower speeds, it seems to lul a bit, as if the line pressures aren't quite enough... and if I do it easy enough I can get the truck to shutter just a touch.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Alot of this lyes within the adaptive learning strategy that our trans. has. FSM06 hit it on the head (he is a master certified Ford trans. tech after all) when he described the rolling stop scenario......if you're typically one to just california roll through a stop, the trans learns this and only goes down to 2nd most of the time, however, come to a complete stop and you surprised it, so it has to jump down to 1st unexpectedly. This is what alot of people feel when they talk about the harsh 2-1 shift or feeling a bump after they stop. The same theory goes for taking off and the 1-2 shift whether it be when it shifts or how hard it shifts......tend to take off nice and easy, it'll get up into 2nd quickly (because the overall shift program from the factory is geared more towards fuel economy, so it wants to get up in the gears quicker)....tend to take off with some authority, it'll add that pressure for the quick shift. Now after averaging the authoritative take offs and you do the nice and easy method, wham, you'll feel the hard shift to 2nd that the trans. is used to. Most of this is the truck just showing you your driving habits, that's why some people experience it and some don't, not everyone has the same driving habits. As for it doing it in the morning or first start-up, just like eng., the trans is cold too, it needs to heat up and "let loose".

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alot of this lyes within the adaptive learning strategy that our trans. has. FSM06 hit it on the head (he is a master certified Ford trans. tech after all) when he described the rolling stop scenario......if you're typically one to just california roll through a stop, the trans learns this and only goes down to 2nd most of the time, however, come to a complete stop and you surprised it, so it has to jump down to 1st unexpectedly. This is what alot of people feel when they talk about the harsh 2-1 shift or feeling a bump after they stop. The same theory goes for taking off and the 1-2 shift whether it be when it shifts or how hard it shifts......tend to take off nice and easy, it'll get up into 2nd quickly (because the overall shift program from the factory is geared more towards fuel economy, so it wants to get up in the gears quicker)....tend to take off with some authority, it'll add that pressure for the quick shift. Now after averaging the authoritative take offs and you do the nice and easy method, wham, you'll feel the hard shift to 2nd that the trans. is used to. Most of this is the truck just showing you your driving habits, that's why some people experience it and some don't, not everyone has the same driving habits. As for it doing it in the morning or first start-up, just like eng., the trans is cold too, it needs to heat up and "let loose".

Nice post, thanks! That explains it and at least I know it is all normal for the truck! Perfect.....

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an intermittant hard 1-2 up and downshift. There's no pattern e.g. time of day, just started, hot/cold, but it matches the desctiption above.

Here's what I found out in net land. Thes a TSB out on this (primarily for the 4.6, but should apply equally). I don't have the number, only the text.

ISSUE:
Some 2009 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine and 6R80 transmission may exhibit the following drivability symptoms: hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h). Some vehicles may have a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0741 torque converter performance code present or stored.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM. IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RELEARNING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

Perform adaptive shift strategy learn on level surface road. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
a) Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle to 15 MPH (24Km/h) and remove foot from accelerator pedal.
b) Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
c) Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
d) Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.
e) Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
f) Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for ten seconds.
g) Repeat steps (d-f) three (3) times.
NOTE: SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

This,

My 6.2L does the same but I write it off as part of the transmission trying to figure my crappy driving.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This,

My 6.2L does the same but I write it off as part of the transmission trying to figure my crappy driving.

<G> Bingo Ray. Sometimes, while driving, I think "what the Fu*k am I telling my trannie to do?

Sorry Dan, only applies to the 6.2L

Falcon

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an intermittant hard 1-2 up and downshift. There's no pattern e.g. time of day, just started, hot/cold, but it matches the desctiption above.

Here's what I found out in net land. Thes a TSB out on this (primarily for the 4.6, but should apply equally). I don't have the number, only the text.

ISSUE:
Some 2009 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine and 6R80 transmission may exhibit the following drivability symptoms: hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h). Some vehicles may have a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0741 torque converter performance code present or stored.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM. IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RELEARNING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

Perform adaptive shift strategy learn on level surface road. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
a) Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle to 15 MPH (24Km/h) and remove foot from accelerator pedal.
b) Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
c) Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
d) Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.
e) Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
f) Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for ten seconds.
g) Repeat steps (d-f) three (3) times.
NOTE: SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.
Absolutely DOES NOT apply to the 5.4L.........