5.0 V8 swap into the 2017 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackReef

Reaction score
If cost were not a factor, how feasible would it be to swap a 5.0 V8 swap into the 2017 Raptor?

And feasible meaning not just get it running and driving but a factory-like installation.

You could even run a built/forged 5.0 Coyote w/ a Hellion TT setup and keep all of your on-board boost/vacuum readings.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? I don't understand the hate for the Ecoboost motors. Yes, V8s sound great, but 450hp, 500ft lbs on a lighter platform, and a lighter motor is not terrible. An intercooler upgrade, intake/exhaust, tune would make the new TTV6 into the 500hp range.

How feasible would the swap be? How much money are you willing to spend? Money makes anything feasible.

Engine, trans, electrical from Ford Racing. Remove what you don't need, then, install.

Emissions legal, no, warranty, no, adding 20k to a new truck, yes, more power? no.

There is no replacement for displacement, but when forced induction is introduced, you'll be hard pressed to make a NA motor do what a FI motor is capable of.

Can you turbo/supercharge the 5.0? Yes, but will add to the cost or an already expensive build.

I love the idea of a Raptor with something different, it may not have the same noise/sound, but every other aspect is better.

Look at the new Ford GT

V8s are on their way out

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The swap would be a total nightmare. You have major engine harness changes inside and out. Dash display errors. Engine mount location issues. I am pretty sure the ecoboost has its own emissions setup as well so you would find yourself all the way at the gas tank trying to modify that.

If emissions or factory features didn't matter then you can go full stand alone ecu and gauge cluster. You will still have to deal with a custom fuel system and custom engine mounts. Really just a bad idea in my opinion.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
with enough money anything is possible i guess, but i'd just stick to what it comes with. save that money for modifying suspension when the time comes. i'm sure there will be some nice setups coming soon after release. if i had the skills, i'd rip my entire suspension apart and put it back to stock with the assumption that it would all get put on the gen2 (if i were to get one). but i ran out of talent a long time ago haha

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i have a 2006 dodge and i love that truck, that was when dodge was paired with daimler. it came with a mercedes trans and the fit and finish were far superior to my 2001 ram. i have 120k on it and no major problems, it still drives like it did off the lot. i test drove a ram after they merged with fiat and you could feel the fiat influence in a negative way. that being said it is almost as though they took all the performance mods straight from the pages of FRF in a good way, linked suspension, supercharged v8, 37's, i like the harnesses. the engineers in the dodge video look way more saavy than the knuckleheads trying to get the gen 2 unstuck up in michigan. (i like the gen 2 by the way, but you can put me in the wishing they would put in a v8 option category). I am wondering what the over/under is on how long before a gen 2 thread starts with "i took my tape measure out and you know the 5.0 isnt that much bigger than my eco boost, does anyone make an engine swap kit?" or the "3.5 HO TT v6 for sale 10k miles perfect getting rid of it to finance my 5.0 swap" in the garage sale thread

i posted this back in september, i lose, i didnt think i would see this thread until people started taking delivery of the gen 2's

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have fun with the electronics. to this day i dont know of anyone who has the info from ford. without it you cant program the necessary computers to adapt to a new engine. im sure one of the engineers who has the information can be bought, but figure that cost into it as well.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These make me laugh! All the Gen 2 guys rave on the threads about how great the v6tt is gonna be. Yet thread after thread of when the motor will be a v8 or how to swap to a v8. The v6tt is just that, a damn v6. Why would anyone, no matter how rich, by a 70k truck and then under take such a huge swap with so many unknown variables? The better option to me seems to be drive our Gen 1 and let Gen 2's sit on the lot. Ford will figure it then and make the swap for us.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think many people realize how much hp can be extracted from this H.O. 3.5 Eco motor. 650 hp is conservative with a lot less weight than a Coyote. The biggest problem I see is going to be keeping turbos clean while off-road driving.