40k Mile Suspension Checkup: binding, a blown shock, and a bent frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the RPG solution! On a side note, I wasn't referring to you specifically regarding being afraid to blame Ford... Just an overall observation after seeing a few members go on the attack against anybody that said that... It's all good!

Hate that it happened to you, it's a ****** feeling and sucks to have to shell out cash for something that doesn't add to the truck in any way!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a valid point. Maybe I'm not in tune with my truck as I like to think.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

:peace:

Since the shock is a major part of the suspension unlike a standard 4x4 with high rate springs...

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it the general feeling that a bump stop kit will eliminate the frame bending issue? I have an Outlaw Raptor bump stop kit and Deevers waiting for the arrival of my truck.

I can tell you from experience I've driven my truck quite hard since installing the brace... Had harder impacts then the one that bent my frame originally, and it's still in great shape!

It may not be a perfect solution, but I don't think any have bent since installing the Outlaw Kit.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I have heard a number of stories of guys not knowing the shocks were blown until they come off. The front I could tell but the rear didn't have a dramatic affect on performance...mostly due to only controlling the up and down movement whereas the front really becomes apparent when turning. Just my .02

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good write up BigJ. I think inspecting the suspension on these trucks is something over looked by some owners. Imo 40k was WAY over due. I check mine once a month and usually before and after every off road trip. I know most people may not understand what they're looking at when under thier truck, but there's only one way to learn. By getting under there and asking questions/loading pictures on frf of questionable things, with the help of others someone could reach a pretty good understanding of what they're looking at in short time.
For sure. And let me clarify just a bit: I do crawl around under my truck before and after every trip. I'll grab this, and shake that... basically I'm looking for anything that might look impact damaged, loose or missing. I couldn't agree more that's something that should be done very regularly.

I consider what I did yesterday kind of different though. This time it was all about looking for wear, stress points and potential failures. IMHO that sort of inspection is best carried out by experienced experts, and that sure as hell aint me.

Are you planning on replacing the arms with aftetmarket ones, or replacing with stock ball joints? Imo it wouldn't be a bad time to go aftermarket.
Yeah I am. In fact all the parts were there yesterday, but it didn't make sense to go thru with it, only to have to have it realigned again when the spacers come out in a couple weeks. More on that (and new tie rods!) to come ;)

Looking forward to seeing the RPG solution! On a side note, I wasn't referring to you specifically regarding being afraid to blame Ford... Just an overall observation after seeing a few members go on the attack against anybody that said that... It's all good!
:favorites13:
Since the shock is a major part of the suspension unlike a standard 4x4 with high rate springs...
Agreed. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but it does make sense.

I can say I've felt and heard that side of the truck clunking since I got back from Mojave. I never put it together that the shock was blown though. I think its just my lack of experience when it comes to off road trucks like these. Learning as I go :)

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hate that it happened to you, it's a ****** feeling and sucks to have to shell out cash for something that doesn't add to the truck in any way!

Hey, you can say my name since I'm one of them!!! I have big shoulders and can handle it...lol... And I will jump fast since I was in the business working for Ford for 30 years... I know this truck, I have seen it run prototype tests at the track, I have tested the suspension and shocks. I have good friends that run road load stress and strain on the truck... I know what its capabilities are and I know what they arent... I know some of the calibration engineers and suspension engineers... You think the the frame is weak... I know the frame is not weak... I have driven prototype trucks and cars within and over their limits and had many failures...
I am able to jump on Ford's ass real fast too!! If we were talking about that ****** up 6.0L which I was personally involved with working on the 5k buyback trucks parked in the center of the track in Dearborn ok.. or if we were talking about the ****** up front suspension on the f250/350 1999-2004.. where the truck changed lanes in so fast without you touching the steering wheel because the poor design of the front suspension where the scrub radius was 5in and the industry standard was 2.5... I am behind you 100% but I will argue till I am blue in the face that the frame on the Raptor is not weak and will hold up fine is driven within the trucks limits...

ummmm am I blue yet!!! HA HA HA

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, you can say my name since I'm one of them!!! I have big shoulders and can handle it...lol... And I will jump fast since I was in the business working for Ford for 30 years... I know this truck, I have seen it run prototype tests at the track, I have tested the suspension and shocks. I have good friends that run road load stress and strain on the truck... I know what its capabilities are and I know what they arent... I know some of the calibration engineers and suspension engineers... You think the the frame is weak... I know the frame is not weak... I have driven prototype trucks and cars within and over their limits and had many failures...
I am able to jump on Ford's ass real fast too!! If we were talking about that ****** up 6.0L which I was personally involved with working on the 5k buyback trucks parked in the center of the track in Dearborn ok.. or if we were talking about the ****** up front suspension on the f250/350 1999-2004.. where the truck changed lanes in so fast without you touching the steering wheel because the poor design of the front suspension where the scrub radius was 5in and the industry standard was 2.5... I am behind you 100% but I will argue till I am blue in the face that the frame on the Raptor is not weak and will hold up fine is driven within the trucks limits...

ummmm am I blue yet!!! HA HA HA
I don't think the frame is weak at all! This truck has the highest 1/2-ton towing capacity (not this model, but same frame) of any manufacturer, correct?

I'm just under the opinion that the bump stop is in a horrible location, for a purpose built "high speed off road truck" as Ford calls it. If this were just sold as any other regular F-150 with more comfortable shocks, then sure... I'd agree it crosses the line of what it's intended for. But being labeled and designed for high speed off road use, the bump stop location and design is just plain crap. Again, just my opinion! A simple relocation and redesign, and this issue would NEVER have ever reared it's ugly head.

Other than that, this thing is a tank. I put mine through it's paces regularly, and it's amazing how much this think takes on, without broken parts!!!

P.S. Now that you mention it, we have a 2004 F-250 Diesel 4x4 long bed at work... and that thing is SO hard to keep between the lines on the highway! Ford told us this is "normal", must be like what you're talking about!

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the frame is weak at all! This truck has the highest 1/2-ton towing capacity (not this model, but same frame) of any manufacturer, correct?

I'm just under the opinion that the bump stop is in a horrible location, for a purpose built "high speed off road truck" as Ford calls it. If this were just sold as any other regular F-150 with more comfortable shocks, then sure... I'd agree it crosses the line of what it's intended for. But being labeled and designed for high speed off road use, the bump stop location and design is just plain crap. Again, just my opinion! A simple relocation and redesign, and this issue would NEVER have ever reared it's ugly head.

Other than that, this thing is a tank. I put mine through it's paces regularly, and it's amazing how much this think takes on, without broken parts!!!

P.S. Now that you mention it, we have a 2004 F-250 Diesel 4x4 long bed at work... and that thing is SO hard to keep between the lines on the highway! Ford told us this is "normal", must be like what you're talking about!

Oh ya!!! The front suspension on that think is a POS!!! Its the scrub radius... The scrub radius is a imaginary line through the top ball joint. the bottom ball joint and another through the center of the tire and where the 2 lines intersect the ground the difference between the 2 is the scrub radius... On the truck you have its 5in!!! thats why it does what it does. I had one bought back because of it... When getting on or off a freeway ramp and you get in the groves the ******* thing will scar the shit out of you!!! or just the groves the tractor trailers make on the road... or a grated road like a suspension bridge holy ****!!! and there is no real way to fix.. Ford was right its a characteristic of the truck cause they made that way!!!
I stirred some shit on that one... I sent a letter to the everyone of the board of directors... and it just happened that one of them had the same last name as me!!! not related...

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which bump stop kit(s) are you referring to?
Specifically the Outlaw kit (as I've been told they haven't seen one faulire yet) but I believe the others have worked well also. I've yet to see somebody mention a bent frame WITH a reinforcement kit... Although its possible if they kept it under wraps! ;)