GEN 1 3rd Brake Light...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
So I did search and didn’t come up with much. This seems to be a pretty wide spread problem no? I now have mold growing under my passenger side due to leaking from the 3rd brake light. Truck is at the dealer and they are saying it is not covered under my extended warranty. I’m calling ford about it now but i feel like this issue is pretty damn common. Am I off base here and just shut up and pay them? My extended ford warranty isn’t going to cover it either.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gilligan

Reaction score
I'm on my third one, they are correct it's not covered under extended warranty unless you purchases the additional lighting package. I lucked out because my first one was covered under my bumper to bumper, and my 2nd one broke in less than a year so it was covered under the parts warranty for the light itself even though I was beyond the 36k warranty.

The truly ****** thing is how much they cost now, I think they are around $400 through ford. Almost doubled in price when the 2014's went out of production. I'd just buy one online and install it myself because. Add some clear silicone and you should be good to go.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they're leaking thru the screw holes, presumably from screws being over tightened and breaking the sonic weld inside. the best price Ive seen is $300 on a new one. There's some things that can be done to prevent a new one leaking, but probably the biggest thing is to make sure the mounting screws are not too tight.

OP
OP
CineSLR

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
they're leaking thru the screw holes, presumably from screws being over tightened and breaking the sonic weld inside. the best price Ive seen is $300 on a new one. There's some things that can be done to prevent a new one leaking, but probably the biggest thing is to make sure the mounting screws are not too tight.
Thank you! I'll be sure and let them know to not over tighten.

Big thank you to Don Bohn ford for being willing to foot the bill according to them (though i did make a claim).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Be careful with these. The gasket on the light is not reusable... it was also too thin to begin with. When the light comes off, put TWO gaskets on it. This will prevent it from the famous leaking into the cab. Also, avoid Recon third brake light replacements. I have read that those are very poor quality.