2018, 10 speed auto into 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013, I’ve been kicking around some ideas, 10 speed, or a Gen 2 Coyote with a 10 speed? To me the 6.2 is a solid power plant, that I think could be better if kept in the meat of its power, the 10 speed does wonders for the eco, and the 5.0 liter had the 10 speed, why not the 6.2, just kicking out ideas.
Thanks
>>> To me the 6.2 is a solid power plant, that I think could be better if kept in the meat of its power, <<<
I don't think you need a 10 speed for the 6.2, I'm thinking you need to learn how to operate the equipment that you are driving.
Put the transmission in MANUAL Mode and manually shift it at the desired RPM.
Keeping it in the Powerband is easy.

OP
OP
M

mstennes

Reaction score
>>> To me the 6.2 is a solid power plant, that I think could be better if kept in the meat of its power, <<<
I don't think you need a 10 speed for the 6.2, I'm thinking you need to learn how to operate the equipment that you are driving.
Put the transmission in MANUAL Mode and manually shift it at the desired RPM.
Keeping it in the Powerband is easy.

I do that, but I’m also thinking of dropping the gear ratios down to 4.56-4.88’s, this coupled with the 10r80’s triple overdrives would allow me to compensate for the 37’s I’m running, yet still have great highway manners in regard to rpms.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do that, but I’m also thinking of dropping the gear ratios down to 4.56-4.88’s, this coupled with the 10r80’s triple overdrives would allow me to compensate for the 37’s I’m running, yet still have great highway manners in regard to rpms.

Dropping you gear ratio for bigger meats? So, you want a 10spd tranny with less torque with a 6.2?? What the forque? I never missed the 4 additional gears with my GEN1. You want more power and torque - put a blower on it and don't waste money on a 10r80.

OP
OP
M

mstennes

Reaction score
Dropping you gear ratio for bigger meats? So, you want a 10spd tranny with less torque with a 6.2?? What the forque? I never missed the 4 additional gears with my GEN1. You want more power and torque - put a blower on it and don't waste money on a 10r80.

That’s the easy way, I’m wanting do this normally aspirated. I’ve supercharged many vehicles and have one now, but that’s easy, I want to do this the old way through gears and other methods.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to 4.56 for a 2" larger tire won't do anything to hurt your highway rpms....it would be fine.

With all the electrics involved these days swapping a trans only probably wouldn't be very easy. Or cheap. Not a logical option.

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it the hard way put a 10 speed tranny on a Gen 1 and get all the electronics working properly.

The old way was actually a possibility when things were mechanical and not electronic but the times have changed.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be a technical nightmare, but I think this is an interesting concept. I'd like to see how the 6.2 would compare given 10 gears, to the original 6. The Mustang with the auto is way faster (quicker) than the 6 speed manual.... apples to oranges for sure, but I still think there would be some gain.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it the hard way put a 10 speed tranny on a Gen 1 and get all the electronics working properly.

The old way was actually a possibility when things were mechanical and not electronic but the times have changed.

^^^This^^^
With newer electronics the transmissions ecm is controlled by the Engines ecm. Good luck getting it programmed.

OP
OP
M

mstennes

Reaction score
I'm sure it would be a technical nightmare, but I think this is an interesting concept. I'd like to see how the 6.2 would compare given 10 gears, to the original 6. The Mustang with the auto is way faster (quicker) than the 6 speed manual.... apples to oranges for sure, but I still think there would be some gain.

Exactly, honestly, this is hot rodding in the new millennium. More about code, than bolts.