2016 [2017*] Raptor test mule spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to make a prediction that the Raptor will be no more. It will go the way of the Lightning.

Hear me out.

The Raptor was born in Baja. They made this big deal about being able to finish the Baja 1000 with it. For them to do it all over again with another chassis or engine is unlikely.

What I predict is that a new truck will come out with a new name, probably a boosted engine and aluminum frame, but they won't risk the Raptor image with it. They'll call it something else.

And the Raptor becomes another iconic Ford model in the history books. Becomes a myth.

Mark if down when they announce the 2016 Rhinosomething.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to make a prediction that the Raptor will be no more. It will go the way of the Lightning.

Hear me out.

The Raptor was born in Baja. They made this big deal about being able to finish the Baja 1000 with it. For them to do it all over again with another chassis or engine is unlikely.

What I predict is that a new truck will come out with a new name, probably a boosted engine and aluminum frame, but they won't risk the Raptor image with it. They'll call it something else.

And the Raptor becomes another iconic Ford model in the history books. Becomes a myth.

Ford stamped a 2015 aluminum body and ecoboost motor to look like a 2014 and completed the baja 1000. So They've already done it with a new engine and motor.

2015 Ford F-150 Baja 1000 Prototype - 2014 NAIAS in Detroit - Road & Track

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea. I just read that they completed 1000 miles without so much as a tire puncture. So I guess they completed the objective which was to take the aluminum body, ecoboost motor, and see if it could finish the race.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, they finished, but didn't do if in time.

In Plain Sight: Extreme Testing For The New 2015 Ford F-150 2.7-liter Engine - Truck Trend

"As Foutz explained, the truck was great. They didn't have to replace a single part. Considering Ford wanted the team to test out the stock intake, muffler, battery, etc. to confirm the toughness of the truck, that's quite an achievement. While the truck finished, it didn't get to the end of the race in the allotted time, so it was DNFed."

DNF is Did Not Finish, right?

Ford would be nutz to put the Raptor label on a truck that didn't technically finish the race when the previous model finished 3rd. Call it something else and don't tarnish a well earned reputation and image.

IMHO.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hear me out.

If so, it will be the first time I put a million miles on a vehicle!

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score

Hear me out.

They already have test mules running around. The Lightning never got past concept vehicle. Why would Ford waste time and resources testing preproduction vehicles if they didn't have plans to release the vehicle?