2013 drowned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took the family out on the boat last weekend for a little short trip to play on the water. When we got done, disaster struck when loading the boat back on the trailer.

I backed the trailer down to the water, until the truck's rear wheels were just at the water line. I put the truck in park, set the parking brake, shut off the engine, and walked over to my wife who was waiting with the boat on the bank. I handed her the key and said to go over to the truck to be ready to drive us up the ramp once I was loaded on.

It took a good 10 minutes for me to idle over to the trailer, and badness began just before I got to the trailer (I had not contacted it with the boat yet). My wife was standing next to the truck, not touching it. No one had touched it since I parked it on the ramp. It suddenly started sliding into the lake, and once it started, the wheels hit the slick algae under the water, and it really took off fast. My wife opened the door and hit the brakes, but to no avail. I dove off the boat intending to put the truck in 4WD and hope to pull it out, but the truck was filling with water FAST. Within seconds the water was above the steering column. It floated out into the water, about 30-40 yards from the water line. :mfr_omg:

I had a Roll-X on the bed, and the seal must be very good. Even with the trailer on the truck, the cover somewhat floated the back of the truck for about 15 minutes or more. All that force actually bent the rails of the Roll-X.

The truck was completely under for maybe 90 minutes to 2 hours. The insurance adjuster said to plan on it being a total loss. I guess they pretty much always total after complete submersion like that.

I felt pretty sick about it for the last few days :doublepuke:, but in the end, it's just a truck and that's why we have insurance. I thank God nobody was hurt, and that's what's important. It changed how I will launch boats from now on. I will be sure it's in 4WD, and I will not have my kids in their car seats in the back when I'm on the ramp. That cab filled up so fast it would have been very hard to get 2 kids out of there.

So, does anybody know of a 2013 Terrain Screw sitting on a lot anywhere? I want the 801A luxury package, hood decal, bead locks, and I prefer no moonroof or bed decals.

My dealer hasn't been able to find any that another dealer is willing to trade for. If we don't find one in a day or 2, I'll order another like the one I lost. I just would really like to have a truck again before the Havoc run, and building one in time is unlikely.

Last edited:

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats truly sucks! Great attitude, thanks God nobody was hurt and kids were not in the car!

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that's terrible. Sorry doc. Have had a few close calls my self on the ramp. Almost lost my lightning once. After that I would not back as far down and just drive the boat up the trailer. Gotta be a sick feeling. Keep my eyes open here in Florida. I know the dealer in st. Augustine had a terrain screw 2 weeks ago when I was up there. Don't know what the details on the truck was. But it is bozard ford st. Augustine fl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

trafficman337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Lord, thank God no one was hurt. As I was reading your post, I actually felt like I was right there. Again, glad you and your family are ok. Hope you find another truck. Please let us know how you are doing. Wow.