2012 supercharged raptor surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puffer45888

Reaction score
Hi all, new to raptor ownership and this forum. Bought my used 2012 supercharged raptor with 60000 miles and have been plagued with surging acceleration 3rd to 4th gear under moderate acceleration. If i give it a bunch of more gas it goes away. acceleration is just not linear at all, very annoying. does the same thing when cruising around 72-75 mph. I don't know if it is tuned or not. have been running 93 octane, happens when warmed up or cold. asked another member here and he thought it might be helped with a tune. Any other thoughts? thx

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You buy via dealer or private sale?
No sign of a handheld tuner anywhere in the truck?

Know when the plugs were done last?
Which supercharger? Roush/Whipple/procharger etc?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A tune could definitely help with this.

But first, I'd try cleaning the air filter, MAF sensor, and running a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it. You might also need some fresh plugs. Your truck will run a lot smoother after the above. I doubt it will completely eliminate the surging, but it's definitely worth a shot before getting into the specifics of your supercharger build (like which throttle body you have on it and whose tune is in there).

OP
OP
P

puffer45888

Reaction score
bought it used at nissan las vegas and no there was no tuner. dealership talked to previous owner and a shop in arizona installed it, not the a ford dealership. I talked with them and they were useless. whipple said that it was sold with the standard tune, no tuner, and it was a pain in the butt to get that damn carb sticker. thx for the suggestions about cleaning and new plugs, i really don't know how well it was maintained and sounds like a good place to start

martinitime

Reaction score
bought it used at nissan las vegas and no there was no tuner. dealership talked to previous owner and a shop in arizona installed it, not the a ford dealership. I talked with them and they were useless. whipple said that it was sold with the standard tune, no tuner, and it was a pain in the butt to get that damn carb sticker. thx for the suggestions about cleaning and new plugs, i really don't know how well it was maintained and sounds like a good place to start
Have one doing something similar. What was the outcome?

Mineratron

Reaction score
Mine is doing this, hunting/juddering on steady throttle... asked the Mrs. last night to try to/from work today locking it in 5th (doing it in 6th between 110-140kph) and seeing what it does. Also replaced Fuse 27 with the kit (was cooked), fuel pump drive unit (preventative), evaporator canister (gummed up full of dirt), cleaned the MAF sensor and reset everything and tested the modules again. No more codes.

Ran it last night at up to around 80-90kph on partial and full throttle, including full RPM in first, with the OBD scanner live. No codes. It did record one instance of misfiring on Cylinders 2 & 4 on the PCM at 13mins in at 1675rpm, OBD module shows 1 of permissible 65500 instances of misfiring in the current drive cycling, with misfiring detection/calibration/management ok. Will take it a long run myself over the weekend and check the OBD readings.

Looking at eliminating:
- road speed effects by trying different gears
- monitoring health of Coils 2 & 4

Car is 5k in from a clean air filter and 7k away from needing plugs. Just priced up plugs, leads and coils... ooft! Will be doing the plugs plus whatever is damaged, coils were ~$160 each as were the cables (ford parts website... will look for other sources). Will monitor and if it persists in the OBD recorder, I will try swapping the coils round to verify.

Car running ok otherwise, better for binning the evap canister and fixing the fuel pump relay electrics. Hope that helps. 2014 Stage 2 Roush SCrew with 153k km.