2012 Screw service advancetrac and hill descent control fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exx1976

Reaction score
Just picked the truck up new to me last week. 53k miles.

Today on the way home from the lake, cruise control on, towing the boat, fairly level asphalt highway, these two warnings popped up.

Truck continued to drive fine, cruise still worked, but the offroad display didn't tell me my front wheel angle in relation to the rears. Incline/tilt indicators still functioned fine.

Got home, backed into the driveway, shut it off, started it back up, no codes.

I'm slightly worried since I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a 6k mile road trip to include offroading in Yellowstone, Moab, and Monument Valley...

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow (extended warranty, so I should be covered), but I'm wondering what to expect? I've tried to read a bunch on here - water in the third brake light (no rain since I've bought the truck), cruise didn't disengage (other people reported that it did)..

Bueller... Bueller...

Thanks!

Dakotablues

Reaction score
Could be the electronic throttle body assembly on the fritz. Had one go bad in my 2015 King Ranch. Just an item to mention to the dealership in case.

Good luck on it.

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
Could be the electronic throttle body assembly on the fritz. Had one go bad in my 2015 King Ranch. Just an item to mention to the dealership in case.

Good luck on it.

Wouldn't that cause it to go into limp home mode?

Yesterday morning I put a k&n air filter in it. Would that have anything to do with it? Are those bad for these trucks?

CIB2007

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact thing after I had an alignment done and went through the car wash. The dealer pinched the abs line behind the upper control arm some how.. and every time it shorted out it would throw those codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

So I would check the abs/wheel speed sensors to make sure they are ok first. Then take it to autozone or somewhere to read the code. Unless the dealer wont charge to hook up the reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got those codes when a wheel speed sensor went out on my truck. And they still pop up when I change tunes and the ignition turns back on. but not after that

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I got those codes when a wheel speed sensor went out on my truck. And they still pop up every time I change tunes and the ignition turns back on. but not after that

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
I got those codes when a wheel speed sensor went out on my truck. And they still pop up when I change tunes and the ignition turns back on. but not after that

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I got those codes when a wheel speed sensor went out on my truck. And they still pop up every time I change tunes and the ignition turns back on. but not after that

I have had wheel speed sensors fail on other vehicles. Unless the Raptor is THAT different from the rest of the automotive world, this would also cause the cruise control to disengage and would throw an ABS warning light, wouldn't it? Cruise control still worked fine, drove another 100 miles home with it on.

Swung by the dealer this morning, he told me to keep driving it and if the lights came back on to bring it in while the lights are on.

He also said that "if you can add power steering fluid to the truck, it's hydraulic power steering, not electric, so it's not the rack. A bad rack could cause this if it were electric assist". So of course I looked under the hood (just bought the truck last week), and there's a spot to add power steering fluid, so... ?

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
Lights came on again. Drove it to the dealer while they were still on. Dealer stuck it on the computer. Computer said both steering angle sensors were reading bad. There was a TSB that said when this happens, to reprogram one of the modules. They did, problem hasn't happened since. Cost me $101 and about 2 hours of my morning last week.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheel speed sensor or water in the third brake light often causes this - but glad you got it sorted

Last edited: