2010 SCAB "Check 4x4" Light when shifting to 4H/4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last weekend when I needed 4H to climb a steep hill with my 2010 SCAB pulling a loaded trailer, I put my truck into 4H like I normally do and I saw a "Check 4x4" with a wrench sign in my center display. I tried 4L and the same light appeared. The truck did not shift into 4WD, so I had to drive up the hill in 2WD. When I shifted back into 2H, the light went off and the truck drove normally.

Is this a common problem with a truck with only 45K miles? Is there something simple to check or do I need to take it into the Ford dealer for service?

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any grinding or whirling noises while attempting to shift?

Sounds like the transfer case didn't attempt the shift if you were able to drive it in 4H/4L with the Check 4x4 light on.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any grinding or whirling noises while attempting to shift?

Sounds like the transfer case didn't attempt the shift if you were able to drive it in 4H/4L with the Check 4x4 light on.

No grinding noises... I tried it again today in my garage and the same thing happens. The light pops on and the display does not tell me it went into 4H or 4L. I turn it back to 2H and it appears to operate normally.

I guess I will have to take a trip to my local Ford Dealer... :mad:

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would check the Vacuum lines. Pretty common thing.

I am not familiar with the vacuum lines on a Raptor. Is there a particular one I should be checking? Or a website / Youtube explaining it?

Thanks

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's your vacuum lines. Those only control the front hubs and there are no sensor type things to cause those to complain if they do have problems. It sounds like your tranny isn't even trying to shift which leads me to think it's whatever solenoid type thing physically shifts the tranny into 4.

HOWEVER, if you want to mess with the vacuum lines, crawl under by the wheel and you'll find this dual rubber line on the top of the IWE. It pulls right off and by doing so you are engaging that hub to the axle. Repeat on the other side. Now your front axles are in four wheel drive, but I don't think it will matter because I don't think your transfer case is shifting.

Technically you should plug those lines if you want to try driving around, but if you're just testing it in your garage or something I wouldn't worry too much. Don't forget to hook the lines back up.

In short, I suspect an issue in your transfer case.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I checked for codes with my SCT tuner and it did not find anything. I cleared the codes anyway. Since I was in the truck, I turned the knob without the engine running and I could hear it trying to engage. (I could not hear it this morning with the truck running) It wasn't a grinding noise, but more of a clicking noise. It clicks when trying to go into 4H and clicks again when going back into 2H.

After several back and forth tries, it did successfully shift into 4H with the dash indicating 4X4 High. After shifting the truck into N, I was also able to shift it into 4L with the dash indicating 4x4 Low. I started the truck up and confirmed it was indeed in 4L by driving it a short distance and turning the wheel to feel the resistance of the 4WD. It went back and forth into 4H and 4L with the truck running several times.

I turned the truck off again and since the 4x4 Light had come on a couple of times at first, I checked for codes again, but there was nothing. After letting it sit for a few minutes, I tried it again and it went back to clicking and showing the Check 4x4 light.

I found this Youtube video, but he clearly states there will be a P1867 code, along with the 4x4 Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZhI0CM4Ps

I guess his idea is worth a shot, since mine seems to be working intermittently off and on, and I can hear it trying to shift when the engine is off.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who knows if yours would throw a code too. Looks free and easy. I'd say give it a try and let us know! I do think it's in the general area of what is happening from your description.

I'm suspicious of the shift motor itself too.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried the procedure outlined in the video I posted above and it seems to have worked. I say "seems" because it did not work until I started the truck. Once the truck was running, I was able to shift it into 4H and 4L. I drove the truck in both modes, so I know it was working correctly. I went back and forth several times between the 3 modes without issues.

Does anyone know if the truck should shift back and forth into 4H/4L without a Check 4x4 light when the truck is not running? In other words, does the lack of a vacuum prevent it from shifting correctly and I should only expect it to work when the truck is running? I never tried to shift it without the truck running in the past, so I cannot honestly say if it should work.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried the procedure outlined in the video I posted above and it seems to have worked. I say "seems" because it did not work until I started the truck. Once the truck was running, I was able to shift it into 4H and 4L. I drove the truck in both modes, so I know it was working correctly. I went back and forth several times between the 3 modes without issues.

Does anyone know if the truck should shift back and forth into 4H/4L without a Check 4x4 light when the truck is not running? In other words, does the lack of a vacuum prevent it from shifting correctly and I should only expect it to work when the truck is running? I never tried to shift it without the truck running in the past, so I cannot honestly say if it should work.

I'll try this, but here's what I believe to be the answer. I think the transfer case is electronic - no vacuum needed. I think it will shift back and forth. I think I did this a couple weeks ago troubleshooting something.
The hubs/IWEs require vacuum pressure to go into 2WD - yes, they will go into 4WD with the truck off since all it does is release the pressure. They'll try to go back to 2WD and probably succeed at least once... maybe. But since there's no buildup of pressure, this should only work a limited number of times until you start the truck up and create vacuum. That light does not come on for me.