2 bikes, 1 bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are planning in attending the Baja 500 this year. We will be carrying 2 bikes, 3 gear bags, 2 action packers, 1 gas can, one yeti 35 qt., and a foldable ramp. I have never attempted to pack so much gear into a 5.5' bed, but I'm sure its possible to do so. Does any one have any experience packing this much stuff into a raptor? I would go outside and test fit everything, but it wont stop raining...

Side note: we will be traveling from texas to baja and back, 3,000 miles round trip.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
dirt bikes or bmx? Bmx, get a tailgate padded cover and let the front wheels hang over the t/gate, pad lock with cable chain to the inside hooks. Dirt bikes, will have to run with the tailgate down, that's the only way I could do it. Either way, invest in a good lock.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are gonna be really close to payload limit with that lot, hope you have a good bumpstop kit on.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 CRF450's - 500 lbs
3 gear bags - 120 lbs
1 foldable ramp - 15 lbs
1 gas can (empty) - 3 lbs
yeti 35 qt - 50 lbs
action packers - 100 lbs

I figure minimum payload would be 775 lbs, maximum payload 900 lbs.

Once we cross the border the bikes will be out and the gear bags will be stashed at HQ, no off roading will be done with a payload. I don't have a SVC bump stop kit yet, but I can always add one if needed.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget passengers count to that as well. Bumps and hd springs would be my recommendation you'll reck stock springs in not time running close to payload limit.

jakehobbs

Reaction score
Here are some examples of what I usually travel with.

Most of the time its
- two KTM's(probably same weight as your CRF's)
- Two Gear Bags
- Ramp
- Gas Can
- Cooler

In these pictures you will see varying packing jobs but what im getting at is that you should be fine. Rear will be sagging a bit(im at mid perch), but I havent noticed any crazy handling change, as least on my truck. The only thing that might be different for your setup is the extra weight of the action packers, not sure how that will change things. I bought this truck specifically to do these trips, and handle well once I got there, I couldn't be more stoked.

Hope these help.

Raptor3_zpsiha8xafj.jpg
Raptor2_zps2h6fi68b.jpg
Raptor1_zpsi63ds3ca.jpg
IMG_9953_zps5bd74081.jpg

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, you got her loaded up

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

I was looking at the alpha one vertical tire rack for carrying dirt bikes

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of the chicago guys does this regularly and his springs are completely shot, proceed at your own risk on stock springs.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some examples of what I usually travel with.

Most of the time its
- two KTM's(probably same weight as your CRF's)
- Two Gear Bags
- Ramp
- Gas Can
- Cooler

In these pictures you will see varying packing jobs but what im getting at is that you should be fine. Rear will be sagging a bit(im at mid perch), but I havent noticed any crazy handling change, as least on my truck. The only thing that might be different for your setup is the extra weight of the action packers, not sure how that will change things. I bought this truck specifically to do these trips, and handle well once I got there, I couldn't be more stoked.

Hope these help.

Thanks this answers my question. I figured the truck will sit level with everything in the back. I too specifically bought a raptor to take to baja and chase bikes, I just haven't had enough time to do it until now.