GEN 1 '13 Raptor Rear End Whine / Humming anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently at 54k, mostly highway miles with a whine/humming sound coming from the rear while driving/coasting.

Not sure if this could be related but It's been to a Ford dealer with 4wd engaging and disengaging popping issues with no solution. Go figure.

Happens in neutral while I'm coasting as well at 20-30mph and up.

Curious as to what it can be before I waste anytime at a dealership. I'd rather nip it before it gets worse.

Thanks!

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whining from the rear is typically pinion bearing.
Rumbling is usually a carrier bearing.

If you have a vacuum leak or failed iwe hub, they make a noise as they are partially engaged. You sure it's coming from the rear ?

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure it's coming from the rear end and i wouldn't doubt the 4wd has to do with the common iwe issues. :(

I should know Monday what Ford discovers.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
came here to say pinion bearing as well. That usually gives off a whining sound.

sidelock

Reaction score
previous post with same issue-solved

I posted my problem late Feb.
Same whining sounds on my '13, 65K. No luck locating the problem as it got worse.
Finally got to it as follows (see original post). Replaced pinion and carrier bearings under warantee. Dealer used engine ears to locate the issue. Hope this helps.

AmTaylor

Reaction score
2014 Raptor Whining Noise

Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure it's coming from the rear end and i wouldn't doubt the 4wd has to do with the common iwe issues. :(

I should know Monday what Ford discovers.

Hi, My 2014 Raptor had an issue about two months ago with not wanting to come out of 4wd. Then once that happened now it is making a whining noise from the rear end... I was thinking something to do with the differential. I am so mad at the dealership right now because I took it two weeks ago and left it ALL day and they were supposed to check it out... never did and I was leaving to go out of town and they were just going to keep my truck for until the next week... Needless to say I was not happy with their service level and I have tried calling several times and no return calls.
I wondered what the dealership said was wrong with your truck.
TAI

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, My 2014 Raptor had an issue about two months ago with not wanting to come out of 4wd. Then once that happened now it is making a whining noise from the rear end... I was thinking something to do with the differential. I am so mad at the dealership right now because I took it two weeks ago and left it ALL day and they were supposed to check it out... never did and I was leaving to go out of town and they were just going to keep my truck for until the next week... Needless to say I was not happy with their service level and I have tried calling several times and no return calls.
I wondered what the dealership said was wrong with your truck.
TAI

That is a horrible experience. I took mine to Toms Ford in Keyport, NJ and they diagnosed it as gear / pinion whine and had them replaced. I can't believe I went through a set of gears that prematurely on a Raptor! But I'm so glad it's fixed. I would definitely recommend another dealership and if they do not step-up and resolve it, get Corporate involved.

AmTaylor

Reaction score
That is a horrible experience. I took mine to Toms Ford in Keyport, NJ and they diagnosed it as gear / pinion whine and had them replaced. I can't believe I went through a set of gears that prematurely on a Raptor! But I'm so glad it's fixed. I would definitely recommend another dealership and if they do not step-up and resolve it, get Corporate involved.

Thanks for getting back to me. That is what I seem to read on all forums... I just don't even know if the dealship will cover because I have 79K on mine. I think the Powertrain is 60K :( I really have only used the 4wd like three times... so its not like i an hard on it or take it off road... the time it got stuck I only used 4WD because I was in thick gravel on a hill and didn't want to spin out. And that was literally the third time I had ever used it.
Even with my old FX4, I never got good service there they even broke/ put a dent, my hood before on my old truck... They paid to fix it but only after I complained. They were just not even going to tell me about it.
I have a friend who recommended a local shop to take it too... but then i worry and don't want to diminish the value.. I would like if i ever sold it, people would know it was always repaired by ford.

Anyways... Thanks again for your input.