11 months old and a dead battery already...WTF?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drove my truck on Monday. Sat all week in the driveway, went to make sure it was locked last night from inside the house and didn't hear the horn beep. Just figured it was because I was inside so I couldn't hear it. Went to drive it to work this morning and the remote start wasn't working. Thought maybe the key fob was dead (for the 2nd time). Walked outside, hit the unlock button, nothing. Hit the door keypad, nothing. WTF, seriously? 11 months old and 12,800 miles and a DEAD battery?!

My last 00 HD truck the factory battery lasted ELEVEN years and never died once! NO I didn't leave ANYTHING on either! Monday evening I washed the truck, then moved it over in the driveway and that was it. I never ever turn the dome lights on, i never turn the map lights on, I never turn any of those few items on that stay on with the key off. And the Raptor lights up like a space ship on the exterior, I didn't leave the lights on LOL.

When I opened the door with the key to unlock it, nothing came on, not even a dim dome light. I popped the hood and measured the battery voltage, 2.8 volts....yes two point eight! Dead as a door nail!

I called Ford Roadside Assistance because I wanted it documented that it died. I have a jump box but I figure let them do it and get it on the record. The little window on the battery is red.

I have noticed some cold mornings it cranks a little slower, and some mornings it won't auto adjust my drivers seat, I have to press the button after it's started, so it had some signs of a low battery, but holy crap, 2.8 volts after 4 days?

I called to make a service appointment, they were puzzled why I even wanted to come in if I got it jumped and running. I said I want the battery checked, there is something wrong if it was down to 2.8 volts. He said oh no, don't worry about voltage, you just need amperage. I said yes I understand how a battery works, and it should have been around 12.4-12.7 and it was 2.8. He again went on his ramble.

WTF...seriously? :gasp: I wanted to reach through the phone :boxing: I'm a frigging electrical engineer, and you want to argue with me that I don't need to worry about what voltage the battery has?

I said just make me an appointment. I don't want to deal with having a flakey battery now since it's not healthy for them to drain that low.

And yes the alternator is outputting just fine. Around 14.3 volts at idle.

My typical luck, Ford is known to have excellent batteries, and I either got a dud battery, or some f'ed up electrical glitch in the truck that is drawing when it shouldn't be.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simply put - they don't make them like they used to. My 09 FX4 had 9,000 miles on it last year when I traded it off and it was on its third battery. Good luck getting them to warranty it. I had to just buy one for mine. Not a fan of the OEM batts.

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine barely lasted over a year and then died. I don't think the stocker can handle the jumping I swapped it out for a gel cell even though it would have been covered under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Mine died in my Raptor before a year old nice RED dot in it.. Put in my old Red top Optima and that died so I went to a new Yellow top Optima now. Let's see how that holds up.

MOUSE3693

Reaction score
Sounds like the doors were not closed all the way when you went to lock it the night before. I did the same thing on my jeep and now I know.
If you try and remote lock the truck up an the doors are not closed all the way you will not hear the beep. Which sounds to me like that is what happened therefore left the dome light on in the truck and killed your battery.
Best I could think of.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Sounds like the doors were not closed all the way when you went to lock it the night before. I did the same thing on my jeep and now I know.
If you try and remote lock the truck up an the doors are not closed all the way you will not hear the beep. Which sounds to me like that is what happened therefore left the dome light on in the truck and killed your battery.
Best I could think of.

If you leave the door open the dome light WILL turn off after a few minutes.
Saftey feature to not drain the battery.