“Race” Prep Check List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve compiled a check list for my truck before I go on a long offroad trip. I’m curious to see what others do. My truck is essentially “stock”, so I’m not burning up heim joints and needing 3.0 rebuilds every 10k.

Check list for any trip over 1,000 miles

Oil change and filter
Check PS fluid, flush if needed
Check brake fluid, flush if needed
Trans fluid check, flush if needed
Radiator fluid check, flush if needed
Read diff fluid check, add/ change if needed
Change air filter
Check all CV boots and tie rod bellows
Check all ball joints
Check for excessive play in steering rack, adjust if needed
Torque all suspention components to spec, mark with paint pen
Check shocks for leaks, rebuild if I have time and money
Check lower shock bushings, replace if I have time and money
Torque U joints and grease slip yoke
Pull all wheels off and check brake components
Torque lug nuts to spec, torque again after the first tank of gas
Check for excessive axle bearing play
Check all aftermarket wiring and hoses for wear on factory components
Rotate and balance all tires, including spare
Fill washer fluid and change wipers if needed
Power wash and degrease undercarage and wheel wells (easier to find leaks if the truck is cleanish)
Detail interior, exterior and engine bay
Take every tool you just touched and put them in an offroad toolbox

This list has kept me out of trouble, or I’d like to think it has, while traversing West Texas, Baja, Arizona and Southern California. I've had some major mechanical issues before, but I would have needed a crystal ball prepair for them.

So what do YOU do to prep your truck for off road?

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
StewWalker,
Pretty thorough! I'd suggest checking every bolt and nut you can reach. Look at wiring and check for chafing. Check tires for nails/cuts/blisters/uneven wear. Check tire pressures.
In addition I'd make a list of things to bring along..extra fuel, PS fluid, ATF, engine oil, serpentine belt, air filter, plugs. Tire plugs/plug kit. Kinetic recovery rope, shackles, 10' of chain, off road jack or Hi lift jack, couple of gallons of water, premixed antifreeze, good work gloves, a cardboard bicycle box...because when you need to get under the truck you will have broken down in mud or gravel or sand! A length of rope, a half dozen metric nuts/bolts from 6 mm through 20mm. A pair of emergency valve stems. An extra spare tire if you have room in your bed. Water/snacks/drinks/toilet paper, blanket, rain jacket, cheap tarp, some bungee cords, zip ties, gorilla tape, roll of electrical tape, spare fuses. Make sure to address any TSB's; if first gen, do the fuse 27 replacement. Some safety wire. Good flashlight/work light.
Be smart and leave your itinerary with a friend/family just in case you're stuck out of range of communication...also a UHF/VHF radio, cell phone and if possible a satellite phone....
As tha Boy Scouts teach...be prepared!

Eddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
StewWalker,
Pretty thorough! I'd suggest checking every bolt and nut you can reach. Look at wiring and check for chafing. Check tires for nails/cuts/blisters/uneven wear. Check tire pressures.
In addition I'd make a list of things to bring along..extra fuel, PS fluid, ATF, engine oil, serpentine belt, air filter, plugs. Tire plugs/plug kit. Kinetic recovery rope, shackles, 10' of chain, off road jack or Hi lift jack, couple of gallons of water, premixed antifreeze, good work gloves, a cardboard bicycle box...because when you need to get under the truck you will have broken down in mud or gravel or sand! A length of rope, a half dozen metric nuts/bolts from 6 mm through 20mm. A pair of emergency valve stems. An extra spare tire if you have room in your bed. Water/snacks/drinks/toilet paper, blanket, rain jacket, cheap tarp, some bungee cords, zip ties, gorilla tape, roll of electrical tape, spare fuses. Make sure to address any TSB's; if first gen, do the fuse 27 replacement. Some safety wire. Good flashlight/work light.
Be smart and leave your itinerary with a friend/family just in case you're stuck out of range of communication...also a UHF/VHF radio, cell phone and if possible a satellite phone....
As tha Boy Scouts teach...be prepared!

Eddie

Over the years I’ve added and cut various in car tools, parts, communications, and electronics. I think I have my gear list pretty well sorted. I Cary most of the above items, but have never thought of spark plugs. Thought about getting g a good tire plug kit, but after 2 offroad flats that tore a 3” hole in the side wall I don’t see me using one effectively. I’d like to be able to carry an extra PS pump and rack, but when chasing bikes I can’t fit them in the truck.

In truck gear list
Oil, anti freeze, PS fluid, air filter, jack, almost every tool to disassemble the truck, tie downs, snatch strap, shackles, fire extinguisher, hose clamps, jb weld, zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, small electrical kit, Yaesu 2 meter (vehicle mounted), iPad gps, sat phone, spot tracker, in reach, Mexican SIM card, fuses, and a bunch of other stuff I’m forgetting.

Hopefully continuing my prep regiment will keep me from having any issues. I was 600 miles from the US last year when the rear pinion bearing decided to go. Drove the truck 1,500 miles to the dealer in Houston, no catastrophic failure. It sounded like an air raid siren though.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I'd rather roll through Mexico with stew than in a rented Heep that probably got rode hard and put up wet numerous times.

Thorough prep list, I'm not seeing any glaring deficiencies, and I can definitely add some of yours to my own list...

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I'd rather roll through Mexico with stew than in a rented Heep that probably got rode hard and put up wet numerous times.

Thorough prep list, I'm not seeing any glaring deficiencies, and I can definitely add some of yours to my own list...

Do add, curious what others are doing and what issues others have had that could have been prevented.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Jeezus. Just go rent a Jeep and leave the Raptor in the driveway.

It's not a NASA space expedition it's a on/off road trip.

When planning my one and only big vacation for the year, I want to make sure it doesn't get *****'d 2,000 miles away from home.