THIS is WHY I bought a Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have to cross this river 3 times to get to our 9 acres that's adjacent to the Cohutta National Forest.

218093_219056001439360_100000048865791_904167_7102136_n.jpg
217653_219056041439356_100000048865791_904168_1009228_n.jpg

Our property goes to center of the river... the other side is all National Forest... My son Jack, fishing on Jack's River (he thinks its HIS).
222398_219056144772679_100000048865791_904171_1693052_n.jpg

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Hope you didn't get hit by the tornado!

Did you do anything to prevent water damage in your truck?....

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Hope you didn't get hit by the tornado!

Did you do anything to prevent water damage in your truck?....

Nope, we got some wind in North Georgia... but no damage thankfully. I got lucky today, I should have been thinking about the storm earlier... I should have brought my chainsaw with me! No joke, if I came up on a downed tree it would have been a PITA to back all the way up... there's not many places to pass another vehicle and trying to make a U-Turn on this dirt road would be next to impossible.

What do you mean prevent water damage? I just drove slow is all... did I screw something up by fording this river? I've taken my wife's Infiniti through it a couple times... surely if it can make it the Raptor can?

I know the Raptor was designed for desert racing... but something I should know about getting it wet like this?

As you can see in the picture, the water was just at the step guards... I was even able to open the door mid-river, get out and take this picture... water wasn't high enough to get in the cab.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
You should be fine, I've seen a Pic of a Raptor going through water up to the front grill.
Mind you I bet he got some in his truck.

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does water enter the truck? From the door sills? Firewall? Are there unseen drain holes on the underside of the truck that communicate with the interior? As long as its not a raging torrent I thought the modern gasket/seals on the doors was enough to reasonable keep a little water out?

I once had a 1997 Camaro... long story, but I was traveling through I-75 through Detroit after a monstrous thunderstorm... water was so deep in the highway in these banked corners/turns, on the low side I saw a car completely submerged... on the high side, cars were traveling through what I estimate to be 2 feet of water. My Camaro went through, water was literally coming up over that low slanted nose... a semi passed me in deeper water, made a wake so much so that the back end was floating up when the waves crested.... I know, it was stupid, I was young and had somewhere to be... but I made it through this flood water (all of maybe 60 yards)....

That was a 1997 Camaro... surely a 2011 Raptor is a little more water-resistant than that... I know its not a submarine, but really?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ironman, I read that post of yours and here's what I posted there:

-------------

Thanks Ironman,

I like the idea of using silicone, but that stuff won't come off... here's what I'm going to use: As a dentist, when I take intra-**** impressions for crown, I use a material called "Poly-Vinyl-Siloxane"... PVS.

PVS comes in a heavy body and light body viscosity... when it sets, it feels just like bathtub caulking, but doesn't stick to anything... as a matter of fact, in order to keep it in the impression tray when you take it out of the patients mouth, the trays are perforated for retention of the material and I use an adhesive to help glue it into the tray.

Its got a 7 minute set time and I bet this stuff would work perfectly, yet allow the door sill to be removed when you need to.