Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Tech Forums > 2011 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only)
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

2011 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only)

MPG's - Computer "Miles Remaining" - Type Fuel?

This is a discussion on MPG's - Computer "Miles Remaining" - Type Fuel? within the 2011 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only) forums, part of the Ford Raptor Tech Forums category!
Is the computer smart enough to know what kind of fuel the engine is consuming? Reason I ask, is that ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default MPG's - Computer "Miles Remaining" - Type Fuel?
Is the computer smart enough to know what kind of fuel the engine is consuming?

Reason I ask, is that I've been putting the low grade 89 into the vehicle... a few fill ups, and its usually like 300+ miles remaining whenever I reset the fuel/trip-odometer.

Yesterday, I filled up with 91 (maybe 92), the high grade... I wasn't quite empty, but put 27 gallons of fuel in. When I reset the fuel remaining read out, it gave me "276 miles remaining".

I know the higher octane performs better... but is the computer really smart enough to know I'm burning the good stuff and will run out sooner?

Mark Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Roaming Shutterbug

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

I'm going out on a limb and saying that yes, the computer knows what fuel is in the truck (hence the 20-30 extra hp you get) but I seriously doubt that is translated to the Lie-0-meter. Especially if its not even a full tank of premium. That just has to do with past driving habits, not future. Also given that you drive in the same manor you should get better milage on premium. I have yet to test it on this truck but all my previous vehicles would get better milage on premium so I always stuck with it.

CineSLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
JP7
Likes Canadian Mudbaths

Not exactly related to gas type, as I always run the good stuff, however I did notice the computer does learn from past driving habits. My typical city driving (style) puts that message at around 525 km to empty when I fill up. When I do a long road-trip, I have seen as high as 635 to empty.
JP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

Just fyi. I was on a long highway hunting trip and had the luxury of having a 5 gallon full gas can in my truck so I knew if I ran out I'd be ok. Wasnt trying to run out but I overlooked a gas station and miles left on my truck got down to zero. Not exagerating my truck died out the second my computer hit the zero mark. I was actually impressed. I kinda assumed Ford would have left a hair of breathing room for dummies who get that low, but nope LoL.
AVALANCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Genetically Modified

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
Just fyi. I was on a long highway hunting trip and had the luxury of having a 5 gallon full gas can in my truck so I knew if I ran out I'd be ok. Wasnt trying to run out but I overlooked a gas station and miles left on my truck got down to zero. Not exagerating my truck died out the second my computer hit the zero mark. I was actually impressed. I kinda assumed Ford would have left a hair of breathing room for dummies who get that low, but nope LoL.
Have noticed the 'miles to empty' is accurate on my truck as well.

On a side note, I was always told not run it that low on my Chevys as it can't cool the fuel pump. Does anyone know if it's the same deal on Fords?
Madcowranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hired Gun

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Madcowranch View Post
Have noticed the 'miles to empty' is accurate on my truck as well.

On a side note, I was always told not run it that low on my Chevys as it can't cool the fuel pump. Does anyone know if it's the same deal on Fords?
Pretty much the same on all fuel injected engines. The fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling and the injectors use the fuel as a lubrication. Bad idea to run them dry.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Genetically Modified

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by SilverBolt View Post
Pretty much the same on all fuel injected engines. The fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling and the injectors use the fuel as a lubrication. Bad idea to run them dry.
Roger that, Bolt. So what's the safety margin?
Madcowranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

usually when I hit "low fuel" I have about 5 gallons left. I'll run another 50 or better miles then fill up. I've filled up 35.4 gallons before.

2011 SVT Raptor - Tuxedo Black
SDHQ/Vision X/Method Racing/General/SCT
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
I know the higher octane performs better... but is the computer really smart enough to know I'm burning the good stuff and will run out sooner?
Maybe it (the computer) knew that you were going to put your foot into it more to enjoy that tank full of hi test.

2011 VeliciRaptor 475 S/N #20
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote