MPG's - Computer "Miles Remaining" - Type Fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the computer smart enough to know what kind of fuel the engine is consuming?

Reason I ask, is that I've been putting the low grade 89 into the vehicle... a few fill ups, and its usually like 300+ miles remaining whenever I reset the fuel/trip-odometer.

Yesterday, I filled up with 91 (maybe 92), the high grade... I wasn't quite empty, but put 27 gallons of fuel in. When I reset the fuel remaining read out, it gave me "276 miles remaining".

I know the higher octane performs better... but is the computer really smart enough to know I'm burning the good stuff and will run out sooner?

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb and saying that yes, the computer knows what fuel is in the truck (hence the 20-30 extra hp you get) but I seriously doubt that is translated to the Lie-0-meter. Especially if its not even a full tank of premium. That just has to do with past driving habits, not future. Also given that you drive in the same manor you should get better milage on premium. I have yet to test it on this truck but all my previous vehicles would get better milage on premium so I always stuck with it.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Not exactly related to gas type, as I always run the good stuff, however I did notice the computer does learn from past driving habits. My typical city driving (style) puts that message at around 525 km to empty when I fill up. When I do a long road-trip, I have seen as high as 635 to empty.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just fyi. I was on a long highway hunting trip and had the luxury of having a 5 gallon full gas can in my truck so I knew if I ran out I'd be ok. Wasnt trying to run out but I overlooked a gas station and miles left on my truck got down to zero. Not exagerating my truck died out the second my computer hit the zero mark. I was actually impressed. I kinda assumed Ford would have left a hair of breathing room for dummies who get that low, but nope LoL.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Just fyi. I was on a long highway hunting trip and had the luxury of having a 5 gallon full gas can in my truck so I knew if I ran out I'd be ok. Wasnt trying to run out but I overlooked a gas station and miles left on my truck got down to zero. Not exagerating my truck died out the second my computer hit the zero mark. I was actually impressed. I kinda assumed Ford would have left a hair of breathing room for dummies who get that low, but nope LoL.

Have noticed the 'miles to empty' is accurate on my truck as well.:005:

On a side note, I was always told not run it that low on my Chevys as it can't cool the fuel pump. Does anyone know if it's the same deal on Fords?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Have noticed the 'miles to empty' is accurate on my truck as well.:005:

On a side note, I was always told not run it that low on my Chevys as it can't cool the fuel pump. Does anyone know if it's the same deal on Fords?

Pretty much the same on all fuel injected engines. The fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling and the injectors use the fuel as a lubrication. Bad idea to run them dry.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Pretty much the same on all fuel injected engines. The fuel pump relies on the fuel for cooling and the injectors use the fuel as a lubrication. Bad idea to run them dry.

Roger that, Bolt. So what's the safety margin?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually when I hit "low fuel" I have about 5 gallons left. I'll run another 50 or better miles then fill up. I've filled up 35.4 gallons before.