Can you shift from D to M while driving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the instruction manual does it say that you can or can't. Just wondering if you did shift to M from D, would the current gear just stay in position? Thanks, don't want to grind anything.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
back and forth all day every day.

From D to M, it will stay in whatever gear you were currently driving.

From M to D, it will remain in the current gear, then start shifting based on road / driving. I use it all the time.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. I had the same worry and bit the bullet when she was a mere babe.

She will however NOT: read your mind and shift from M to D by itself no matter how long you floor it. Took my ******* 3 full seconds to figure out why I was redlining at 40mph. Such a moron I am.

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She will however NOT: read your mind and shift from M to D by itself no matter how long you floor it. Took my ******* 3 full seconds to figure out why I was redlining at 40mph. Such a moron I am.

Ha, done the same thing.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha, that is TRUE! She will not shift for you.

Interestingly enough, my Focus will. I had her laid out in second gear and just for *****, I wanted to see what the redline was. Nope, shifted right into third. I looked it up in the book and sure enough, it will shift in MANUAL mode, automatically.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Haha, that is TRUE! She will not shift for you.

Interestingly enough, my Focus will. I had her laid out in second gear and just for *****, I wanted to see what the redline was. Nope, shifted right into third. I looked it up in the book and sure enough, it will shift in MANUAL mode, automatically.

Kinda takes the fun right out of "manual mode" I would imagine.

OP
OP
G

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will also shift to 1st for you if you stop. Thanks fellers

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will automatically downshift to a lower gear as your speed dictates. If you mash the gas, it will NOT downshift.