AUX Switches - wiring diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slimj78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand how you are going to use the toggle for the cutout? I totally get the full open/full close thing. But how will it close? Flip the switch on and it opens then still keeps power going to the motor, it will keep pushing to open even though it is already open and will burn it out. Then if I'm not mistaken, you have to reverse polarity to get it to close which a toggle will not do. Thats why you have to use a MOMENTARY switch to control the cutout. Call DMH first before you go through all this to make sure your not going to burn it out cause that would really suck.

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember then how my cutouts operated on my Corvette... I thought I just pushed the button to open all the way, but could stop it along the way if I wished, then pushed again until it closed...

I don't remember being to open half way, then close half way, I thought it had to open fully before it would close... so I was thinking that pushing the AUX 1 switch forward (light turns on), I'd just hold it there until it opened all the way until it got loud, then close it until it got quiet again?

That's how I thought the switch worked?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a simple way to think about it is the wires under the hood and behind the glovebox are "just wires" that are already pushed thru the firewall for you.

One side of the Aux switches are already "hot" from the fusebox, the other side is wired up to the back of the glovebox. When you "tie" the "just wires" to the switched side of the aux (behind the glovebox), the 4 wires under the hood are now "hot" when the aux is switched on.

slimj78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember then how my cutouts operated on my Corvette... I thought I just pushed the button to open all the way, but could stop it along the way if I wished, then pushed again until it closed...

I don't remember being to open half way, then close half way, I thought it had to open fully before it would close... so I was thinking that pushing the AUX 1 switch forward (light turns on), I'd just hold it there until it opened all the way until it got loud, then close it until it got quiet again?

That's how I thought the switch worked?

You are correct in the fact of pressing the button and releasing it to partially open but you can press the other side of the switch when partially open and close it. This is the purpose of that button/momentary switch as when you press it, it only gives power to the motor to open it then when open and you release it the connection is broken and the motor will quit trying to open further. The motor doesn't know that the valve is open/closed completely so it will keep "trying" until you release the button/take away power, if you keep power to it the motor will ultimately burn out. To close it you press the other side of the button to reverse polarity and cause the motor to move in the opposite direction. A toggle switch like in our trucks is either constant on or constant off so there would be no way to reverse the motor to close the valve, the toggle will open it but not close it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Slim,

Surely there's got to be someone here who took Mechanics Shop or Electronics in High School who would know how to do this?

I might check with a Ford Service center and see what it would take to convert the AUX switch to allow it the capability to reverse polarity like the DMH switch... it flips both ways, surely it can be modded...

Anything can be done for a price... For this mod, I'd be down for a couple hundred... but I'd be willing to bet, any body I find would want several hundred???

Yeah, I think I may just use the DMH switch and mount under the dash.

slimj78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Slim,

Surely there's got to be someone here who took Mechanics Shop or Electronics in High School who would know how to do this?

I might check with a Ford Service center and see what it would take to convert the AUX switch to allow it the capability to reverse polarity like the DMH switch... it flips both ways, surely it can be modded...

Anything can be done for a price... For this mod, I'd be down for a couple hundred... but I'd be willing to bet, any body I find would want several hundred???

I borrowed another guys idea (Thanks ISFast!) and popped off the switch plate and mounted the dmh switch on the back side, hidden but still easily usable d8a420db.jpg Its like it was meant to be there 6c41f3dc.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it Slim!

How did you run the gray wire that connects the switch into the cabin and and then under the AUX pannel?

Second question, My Cutout isn't here yet, but how did you get power to the motor? Directly to the battery?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Slim,

I only took one electronics class that I don't even remember in high school. But I do go to College part time for a degree in automation electronics and programmable logic controls, so I guess take it for whatever its worth.

Making a single throw, single pole, toggle switch (aux switch) perform the job of a double throw, double pole, momentary, normally open, rocker switch wired in the fashion to revers polarity isn't going to be simple. Without some logic built into the circuit the motor will burn up. Its not difficult to build a circuit that will revers polarity when the switch is turned off to close the butterfly. The problem is the momentary part. Logic like a timer or controlling position switches are needed. Is it doable? Sure. But not worth the trouble/$$ just to make one aux switch run a cut out imo.

Iirc Hennessey sells (for 500 bucks) a "module" that would allow you to use one aux switch for a cut out/s.