Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area > Other Vehicles
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Other Vehicles

2017 WRX STI Limited vs 17 Focus RS

This is a discussion on 2017 WRX STI Limited vs 17 Focus RS within the Other Vehicles forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - Member's Area category!
First off, thanks in advance for your time and input. I am going to purchase a new "company" car and ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

DECEASED

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 2017 WRX STI Limited vs 17 Focus RS
First off, thanks in advance for your time and input.

I am going to purchase a new "company" car and have landed on the two mentioned vehicles, but am open to any suggestions on other cars that fit within my parameters. I am really interested to hear any feedback from people familiar with these type vehicles. I don't travel a crazy amount for work (majority is on Thursday and Fridays) and I don't deal with a lot of stop and go traffic. I would also drive car on weekend when I wanted to. I am pretty set on an AWD. I have considered a C63/E63 but I feel it would be a little gaughty to my customers that I go visit on said days, maybe or maybe not.. I also want a 4 door in the case (which is rare) that I need to put my babies car seat in back.

After driving both, I find it hard to compare the drive due to the length of the test drive and the fact I did Ford on Friday and Subaru this morning (Saturday). As I type this, I am at Ford waiting to speak with salesman on the best deal they can do and plan to drive again.

Obviously I would appreciate any input someone knowledgeable will give me, but I am specifically interested in what people think about the powertrains. I know Subaru has been in this game a long time. How do you feel the cars will hold up long term? Side note: this Ford dealership offers a lifetime powertrain warranty, which seems legit. It is not technically through Ford and it seems to basically be them using a self-insurance. That being said the owners have 124 stores total so I feel that I would have valid coverage. $100 deducitible. I should also note that I do not plan to modify car- will just leave mostly stock.

What do you like/dislike about your car in all areas. Why'd you choose it? If you drove the same vehicles making your choice, what made you pick the one you did?

Subaru is 2.5L 4cy pushing 305 hp and 290 tq
Ford is 2.3L 4cy pushing 350 hp and 350 tq

Here is my feeling on the asthetics:

The Subaru seemed more comfortable and techy. Definitely more spacious back seat. Decent trunk space. The Ford seemed basic and a little cheap except the sync 3 dashboard. That is probably the biggest plus to that interior for functionality.

Both have pretty exterior, but I prefer the Subaru's subtleness.

Here are the numbers:
Focus MSRP is $42,070 and they have offered basically $3500 off. Maybe a $1k wiggle room here.

Subaru MSRP is $40,977 and they have offered basically $2500 off. I think I can probably get $1000 more off. On this car specifically, I am unsure how often one is discounted very much. Any input on that would be appreciated.

Money isn't everything, just a consideration here.

I have considered the Honda Type-R but I don't think I could pull that one off.

Thanks again for input. Open to other suggestions. Also, if you feel I shouldn't, tell me why.

M
Attached Thumbnails
img_7709.jpg   img_7707.jpg   img_7715.jpg  

img_7717.jpg   img_7718.jpg  

mcote1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Is the Focus Hatchback out of the question? I think they are more, but a better looking car from the exterior IMO. Either way, I would personally go with Ford over Subaru. The dealer support, parts price & availability, and the massive # of Ford dealers vs Subaru dealers nationwide IF you ever had a problem would play into it. Plus, Subaru's have a real poser techno Geek reputation in the Southwest, especially so in Colorado. Its like "I'm cool cuz I drive a Subaru". Drives my kids nuts. My $0.02

"Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most"
Otis857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The 2.5 subaru is somewhat an old concept.
I like the Rs brakes and the 350/350 myself
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Rs as the subaru is 20yr old engine and still have ring land failures if turn up the boost and the rs is a hatchback which is way better looking. Also can get it tuned by mountune and keep your warranty
xBryanHoodsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

You're looking at the wrong Ford!

You should buy the Ford Fusion Sport! Bigger, better looking and riding car with AWD and power...

2017 Magnetic SuperCrew Cab 802a; Raptor Tech Pkg w/Adaptive Cruise; 17" Forged Aluminum (Beadlock) Wheels; 2nd Row Heated Seats; Moonroof; Tailgate Step; Exterior & Hood Graphics Pkgs (both removed); Carbon Fiber Pkg; Engine Block Heater. Added: new V1; BlendMount; XPEL Ultimate & Stealth Film; Tinted Front Windows; BedRug, Roll-N-Lock A-Series bed cover
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

Golf R rides better then both and the fit and finish is top notch. Mini Audi for sure.
WRCRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Member

My vote goes to the RS. I've owned two Evo X's and have always preferred them to the STI's. More reliable, better handling, and better looking imo. I have a Focus ST and that thing handles awesome. Brakes are awesome as well. My only gripe is the FWD creates torque steer, and the looks aren't "great". The RS however, looks more aggressive and would solve all the ST's problems with the AWD, more power, even better brakes, better seats, etc. I see so many Subies everywhere. I've only seen two RS's. let us know what you decide to do. PS a Raptor and an RS next to each other would look awesome
chi_weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

DECEASED

(Thread Starter)
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THEIR OPINIONS!!

Another question I though of after posting this is the AWD system. Talked to a Subaru enthusiast and he was mentioning the the AWD system is leaps and bounds ahead of Ford's. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Originally Posted by Fender View Post
The 2.5 subaru is somewhat an old concept.
I like the Rs brakes and the 350/350 myself
I do like the increase HP and brakes as well on Ford. However, I do like that the Subaru motor has been around for a while because IMO they should have most of the kinks worked out.

Originally Posted by xBryanHoodsx View Post
Rs as the subaru is 20yr old engine and still have ring land failures if turn up the boost and the rs is a hatchback which is way better looking. Also can get it tuned by mountune and keep your warranty
Interesting, I'll check into the mountune!

Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
You're looking at the wrong Ford!

You should buy the Ford Fusion Sport! Bigger, better looking and riding car with AWD and power...
I haven't even thought about one of those! Will look into it. Curious to see what kind of power numbers it puts out.

Originally Posted by WRCRaptor View Post
Golf R rides better then both and the fit and finish is top notch. Mini Audi for sure.
Haven't thought about the Golf R at all. Will check it out! Everytime I get in a VW or Audi I feel like they smell like crayons haha!

Originally Posted by chi_weezy View Post
My vote goes to the RS. I've owned two Evo X's and have always preferred them to the STI's. More reliable, better handling, and better looking imo. I have a Focus ST and that thing handles awesome. Brakes are awesome as well. My only gripe is the FWD creates torque steer, and the looks aren't "great". The RS however, looks more aggressive and would solve all the ST's problems with the AWD, more power, even better brakes, better seats, etc. I see so many Subies everywhere. I've only seen two RS's. let us know what you decide to do. PS a Raptor and an RS next to each other would look awesome
Yea I had read that about the ST. I actually drove an ST first for comparison against the RS and was surprised by the peppyness at higher speeds. I agree a Raptor and RS would be sick together!!! My big hang up is that I am NOT impressed with the Ford interior other than Sync 3. It looks cheap IMO, whereas the Subaru is pretty tech'd out with displays (that tell you quality info). I'm worried that if I buy the Ford I may be disappointed in the interior, which is obviously the portion of the vehicle you look at and use the most. Will let you know what I end up doing! It is funny, everyone on here has said Ford and all my friends have said Subaru! Lol

Originally Posted by Otis857 View Post
Is the Focus Hatchback out of the question? I think they are more, but a better looking car from the exterior IMO. Either way, I would personally go with Ford over Subaru. The dealer support, parts price & availability, and the massive # of Ford dealers vs Subaru dealers nationwide IF you ever had a problem would play into it. Plus, Subaru's have a real poser techno Geek reputation in the Southwest, especially so in Colorado. Its like "I'm cool cuz I drive a Subaru". Drives my kids nuts. My $0.02
No it is not out of the question. I believe the Focus RS's only come in the hatchback style. I totally agree that there are more Ford dealerships everywhere! There is actually a Ford dealership in the town I live so I love that for the servicing, but a Subaru store is within an easy 35 min drive. Luckily here in the Southeast not as many Subaru's so I don't think I'd get lumped in with the poser crowd, but I don't get hung up on what people think of me anyways.
mcote1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

The SUBARU awd system is better yes...
But only if your in snow or dirt roads... on pavement they are about the same unless your tracking the rs in Drift mode then may over heat the rear diff.....but that can be upgraded if want ... I have owned wrxs and sti's exclusively before the raptor. The interior is nicer starting out but they develop squeaks and rattles fast....and the last subaru infotainment/nav system I had was absolutely horrible for user friendliness. If they still made the evo I would steer you that way as you can make ridiculous reliable power with those things
xBryanHoodsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Buy my Evo X MR you'll probably be happier, better off, and $20k richer.

Subie does edge it out interior wise. Are you getting the badass Recaro seats in the ST? I think it's the ST3 package iirc. Like I said the RS is way more rare and I think it would be the funner car. The red STI looks like a Camry. Don't do red !
chi_weezy is offline   Reply With Quote