Used CPO Raptor Purchase. Good Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. New to the forum here.

I need a larger truck for my family so I've started shopping around. I'm from Utah so we have Moab, and all kinds of desert terrain to explore. I looked at building up a mid/LT truck from scratch but am leaning towards a Raptor because of it's ability right out of the box and I'd like to retain the warranty. I have a few questions that I'd like to get experienced owners response on:

If you actually use these trucks for offroad duty regularly how good is Ford about honoring the warranty? I ask this because I had a pretty bad experience with a Toyota FJ years ago. The interior sheet metal on the fenders would start to stress crack/propagate and if you even had a hint of dirt on the rig Toyota was not honoring warranties except on a few occasions. I do not want to go through that type of scenario again.

How well do these trucks hold up for their intended purpose? Most of the failures/issues I've read about are due to owners abusing them ie the infamous frame bending.. I have no plans to go to go launch road gaps at 100mph but I will be doing some of the more mellow trails in Moab and doing some exploring. Also potentially doing some light pre-running/support for a friend of mine that's into desert racing. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and an avid road racer/HPDE driver and a very experienced mountain biker. I spend all day doing stress analysis so I'm probably a little more educated than the average consumer about failures and what causes them.. ie I'm good at not breaking ****! lol.

The truck I've found is a 2011 Black Crew Cab with the luxury package and 34k miles. The CPO comes with 12 month /12k mile comprehensive and 7 yr 100k mile drivetrain warranty. I've haggled relentlessly with the dealer to get them down to $39K+ tax. This price appears to be at kbb trade in value so I think I'm getting a screaming deal..

The truck has 1 minor accident reported with damage to the rear fender so I went through the whole truck and can not see any repair work to the frame. It drives great but has a minor clunk on occasion coming from the front end. I've done some reading on this and it doesn't seem like their is much consensus on if this is actually a suspension issue or some sounds the internal bypasses make. The dealer says they'll take care of this under warranty also. The front and rear bumpers have some pretty minor rash/scrapes, which isn't a huge deal to me as I'll likely replace them for something with more clearance anyway.

The drivers side seat heater is out which will also be repaired. This seems like a pretty common issue based on my reading.

They are also giving me high-book value for my trade in (2009 Nissan Frontier)

Does this seem like a good deal to everyone? Are their any other common issues I should look for?

Also, I was able to put down a deposit and take the truck for a few days to have it looked over. Having it for those few days is what really sold me on the truck. I have never owned a Ford vehicle so-in my completely non-biased opinion this truck honestly deserves all the praise it gets. The driving dynamics are excellent, and coming from a Lotus owner this says a ton! The fuel economy was telling me not to buy it, but if I kept my foot out of it I was able to get 15-16 on the fwy. Still I wonder if I would even care if I averaged 8mpg because the thing is just such a damn riot to drive!

3rd and last question is if all the 2012+ changes are worth it? My main question is concerning the Torsen front diff. Is it absolutely necessary for crawling/Moab type terrain and is it as reliable as the 2010-2011 setup? It looks like the 2012 trucks are running about 7-$10K more expensive that this truck.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the patience to read all that! I appreciate any input you all may have.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went from a Frontier to a Raptor myself. Actually a Black 11 Screw with luxury package 34k just like you mentioned. I could not be happier with this truck. I was not a fan of Ford either but this truck will change your mind for sure. I have honestly beat the shit out of it out of the box and haven't had one single issue others have reported. It still runs and sounds like the day I bought it. The only thing I wish Ford would have spent a little more time on is the interior leather. No matter how much you condition it it will still fray and require replacement covers in a few years. I say go for the 11. I have never ran into an situation thinking "man i wish i had a front locker". That is what the skinny petal is for.

P6280424.jpg

Ugh i miss that truck...

OP
OP
D

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Fronty is epic! Did you Titan swap it? That was on my potential list also. It has been an awesome truck for us But at the end of the day the truck just does not have enough room for us. Also dumping a ton of cash into it I know will not hold it's value. Very little potential to resale all the aftermarket parts if I wanted to get rid of it later..

I had a 05 Tacoma built with lockers and a crawler box. Had issues with that and my FJ so I ended up with a Pro-4X Frontier. I thought about LT'ing a Tundra but I end up well over the price of a Raptor with the same or worse fuel economy. I have serious concerns about the frame strength of the Tundra also. I imagine I can completely write off any warranty work on the Tundra if I show up with it LT'd and fiberglass..

The offroad mode and brake/ABS system on the Raptor are the other things that really sold me. I can really appreciate all the engineering work that went into this truck. I had an Integra Type R for years that just worked so well out of the box. That's very much what the Raptor reminds me of.

I am a bit worried the Raptor values will fall significantly once the new 2015s are out AND the new Raptor is announced. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I also looked at getting a stripped 2015 F150 and waiting for the new LT kits to come out..

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no official Raptor yet, just rumors. And i love my 11' Raptor its perfect for me, dont worry about the torsen, just something else to break the way i look at it. Anyway good luck hope everything goes smooth!

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That Fronty is epic! Did you Titan swap it?

I had an Integra Type R for years

I am a bit worried the Raptor values will fall significantly once the new 2015s are out AND the new Raptor is announced. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Yep Titan Swap front suspension. Did you have a real JDM type R? I am hunting for a CTR myself for a full restore. As far as the new Raptors... They wont have the 6.2 all Im saying.

OP
OP
D

Deezel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Titan Swap front suspension. Did you have a real JDM type R? I am hunting for a CTR myself for a full restore. As far as the new Raptors... They wont have the 6.2 all Im saying.

No, not a JDM R. I had a 97. Epic car. A CTR would be even more awesome with the lower curb weight though. I'm such a Honda fan i'm swapping a K24 in my Lotus as we speak lol!

To be honest I have 2 buddies with the Ecoboost F150s. I actually prefer that motor after driving the Raptor. For being such a big displacement motor it seems like you really have to wring it out in comparison to the Ecoboost. It is definitley no slouch once it gets going though. I've got my concerns with the reliability of ecoboosts though.. kind of like the Torsen front diff more **** to possibly break!