Urgent, but dumb question - are all stock Raptors 50-state legal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burntoc

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm excited to be (hopefully) joining the community soon and I've got a deposit on a 2011 Raptor located on the East Coast. I live in California, though, and I realized I just assumed all stock vehicles can pass emissions here....then I considered that as stock vehicles go a Raptor may be pushing it. Think I'm good, but I'd sleep better if someone can confirm that's not a problem? Thanks!!!

D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah but California has some screwed up emissions laws and vehicles are different there because of this. Perhaps east coast guys don't know this....

Having said that, there are people on this forum that live in CA and purchased their raptor from another state. @MajorAR has Kansas plates though so perhaps that is a way to get around it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

burntoc

Reaction score
Yeah but California has some screwed up emissions laws and vehicles are different there because of this. Perhaps east coast guys don't know this....

Yeah, that's my concern. I know in the past when I bought vehicles they sometimes had a California emissions option. I suspect they've all gotten clean enough that they can pass a smog and DMV registration here, and maybe if that even exists today it is for cars sold new here?

Anyone here buy out of state and then smog and register their Raptor in Cali?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you buy a new car these days, you will see some verbiage about the car being 50-state legal. The 50th state which is the hardest state for emission testing is CA. A stock Raptors is 50-state legal so you should be good. But if the Raptor has a tune then it could fail emissions.

Boomer12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also bought mine in Utah and brought it home to California... DMV will require a smog, vin verification, and that you have a weight slip as part of the registration process.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just remember when purchasing a used vehicle outside California, if it has been modified you are responsible to change it back to totally stock whatever that cost is. So if it has exhaust or tune or intake, unless the product has a CARB number you will fail emission testing. All Raptors are 50 state legal from the factory...

OP
OP
B

burntoc

Reaction score
Thanks so much, all! Paperwork is supposedly being overnighted, so hopefully I'll be in the club mid-May!