Trading up from FX2 to Raptor...Some Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys....I'm in the market for a used Raptor and wanted to confirm a few things based on what I have seen in the market:

1) Were the 6.2L raptors availanle in 2010? I have only seen 1 listed, and I think it may be a typo....seems like most 2010s are 5.4

2) Were the Super Crews only available in 2011+?

3) Are there any "gotchas" on the 2010s that I would need to worry about and go with a 2011+ instead?

Thanks in advance.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys....I'm in the market for a used Raptor and wanted to confirm a few things based on what I have seen in the market:

1) Were the 6.2L raptors availanle in 2010? I have only seen 1 listed, and I think it may be a typo....seems like most 2010s are 5.4

3) Are there any "gotchas" on the 2010s that I would need to worry about and go with a 2011+ instead?

Thanks in advance.

1.) The 6.2 was an option later added for the 2010s
2.) Correct, Screws are only available after 2011 and the 6.2 is the only option since then too.
3.) Just the little, slow, weak 5.4. :mwah1::baby::ROFLJest:

Plenty of guys on here are still running the 2010s with the 5.4 and the 6.2, and running them hard.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

The only gotchas I know about was a bad batch of axles - early to mid 10 maybe, and a couple leaky sunroofs. I can't remember when exactly. I have a '10 6.2 and I've never had an issue. I would bet any problems have been discovered and fixed.

LEGORAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 2010 and runs perfect (18,000miles).Check the historial of the Truck Just make sure all the services were done promptly and give it a good test drive and check under the Raptor to make sure nothing is screwed. Remember some people buy raptors and think they can go through anything and do it all and **** them up, then sell them., so it might look nice and pretty on the outside but doesn't mean it's not ****** up. Don't recommend buying a 5.4L AT ALL!

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
5.4>6.2

2010s have less nannys. Shifter will move into 3,2,1 without the jankey little button on the side of the shifter. Don;t have productivity screen. Do have awesome white gauges.

Things to look for on a used Raptor. Check the skidplates for damage, shock guards (if they are nicked up thats one thing, if they are destroyed the truck has some hard miles). Dents in the driveshaft, frame, muffler, etc... All signs of hard use. Hard opening tailgate is another sign. Check for heavy dirt collected inside of the idler pulleys on the engine.

Basically, look at mine and don't buy one that looks like that

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5.4<6.2

2010s have less nannys. Shifter will move into 3,2,1 without the jankey little button on the side of the shifter. Don;t have productivity screen. Do have awesome white gauges.

Things to look for on a used Raptor. Check the skidplates for damage, shock guards (if they are nicked up thats one thing, if they are destroyed the truck has some hard miles). Dents in the driveshaft, frame, muffler, etc... All signs of hard use. Hard opening tailgate is another sign. Check for heavy dirt collected inside of the idler pulleys on the engine.

Basically, look at mine and don't buy one that looks like that

You had a type-o, I took the liberty to fix that for you. :mwah1:

But good info on what to look at if buying a used Raptor. One question, what does a hard opening tailgate mean, what has been abused or driven hard?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
You had a type-o, I took the liberty to fix that for you. :mwah1:

But good info on what to look at if buying a used Raptor. One question, what does a hard opening tailgate mean, what has been abused or driven hard?

I think the bed tends to tweak a little on these trucks making the tailgate hard to open must be all the torque from the 5.4. Mine is a real bitch.

5.4>6.2...