Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VARaptor1

Reaction score
Should I buy a Raptor if I'm going to just use drive it on the highway, I have recently read some threads that say the Raptor does not handle well on non interstate roads, is this true?

Should i buy the tech package?

Thanks in advance!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I have no experience with GEN2 models, but I can assure you that GEN1s handle very, very well. There is a roundabout about two miles from my house on the only road into town. I negotiate that roundabout nearly every day, and so far no one can maintain their distance from me as they follow me through it no matter what they're driving.

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I buy a Raptor if I'm going to just use drive it on the highway, I have recently read some threads that say the Raptor does not handle well on non interstate roads, is this true?

Should i buy the tech package?

Thanks in advance!

Are you asking if the Raptor handles well on highways? I'm confused by 'does not handle well on non interstate roads? Wouldn't that be dirt roads? Sorry, not trying to be an ass.

OP
OP
V

VARaptor1

Reaction score
Interstate = I 95, I 81 four lane high ways.

Back roads = curvy two lane country bumpkin 55mph roads.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Rap does fine on pavement or no pavement, highway or back road. I have more trouble with man hole covers than other broken pavement.

buy what you want. If you’re only driving on pavement, and only do light to moderate off roading, if any, the Raptor is overkill. Not that this is a bad thing.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The first question is: Do you need a truck?
I said NEED, because if you don't need a truck then it would be rather stupid to spend tens of thousands of your hard earned money to buy, insure, license, maintain, and fuel a truck.

If the answer to the first question is no, then figure out what you do need in the way of a vehicle, do the necessary research, and buy the best vehicle you can find that meets your needs.

IF the answer to the first question is yes, then the second question is: Do you need a big damn truck or even a full-sized truck?
Because if you need a truck but don't need a full-size truck, then it's rather stupid to buy one when there are excellent mid-sized trucks that are less expensive to buy and own.

If the answer to the second question is yes, then the third question is: Do I need a 4x4?
Because if you don't need four wheel drive capability, then it's stupid to pay the penalties in purchase price and lower fuel economy to own something you don't need.

If the answer to the third question is yes, then the fourth question is: Do I want a GEN1 or GEN2 Raptor?
Note that the logic is to not even think about what you want until after you're clear about what you need. Because if you spend upwards of $50,000 to buy what you don't need you'll very likely regret it sooner rather than later.

So first understand your needs, and narrow your choices on that basis. Then do your research and understand the options available on the market that satisfy your needs. Narrow the choices further on the basis of further research into quality, cost of insurance, MPG, ease of maintenance (I never buy a vehicle until I've slid underneath it to see what it's going to be like to change the oil, change the spark plugs, service the transmission, etc.), and owner satisfaction. Then consider what you like illuminated with all the knowledge you've acquired.

If you do this all yourself, you will guarantee that you will be satisfied and happy with your new vehicle. Your work will eliminate the possibility of buyer's remorse. But if you take the word of people you don't know and will never meet, how will you ever be certain that you made the choice that is right FOR YOU?

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first question is: Do you need a truck?
I said NEED, because if you don't need a truck then it would be rather stupid to spend tens of thousands of your hard earned money to buy, insure, license, maintain, and fuel a truck.

If the answer to the first question is no, then figure out what you do need in the way of a vehicle, do the necessary research, and buy the best vehicle you can find that meets your needs.

IF the answer to the first question is yes, then the second question is: Do you need a big damn truck or even a full-sized truck?
Because if you need a truck but don't need a full-size truck, then it's rather stupid to buy one when there are excellent mid-sized trucks that are less expensive to buy and own.

If the answer to the second question is yes, then the third question is: Do I need a 4x4?
Because if you don't need four wheel drive capability, then it's stupid to pay the penalties in purchase price and lower fuel economy to own something you don't need.

If the answer to the third question is yes, then the fourth question is: Do I want a GEN1 or GEN2 Raptor?
Note that the logic is to not even think about what you want until after you're clear about what you need. Because if you spend upwards of $50,000 to buy what you don't need you'll very likely regret it sooner rather than later.

So first understand your needs, and narrow your choices on that basis. Then do your research and understand the options available on the market that satisfy your needs. Narrow the choices further on the basis of further research into quality, cost of insurance, MPG, ease of maintenance (I never buy a vehicle until I've slid underneath it to see what it's going to be like to change the oil, change the spark plugs, service the transmission, etc.), and owner satisfaction. Then consider what you like illuminated with all the knowledge you've acquired.

If you do this all yourself, you will guarantee that you will be satisfied and happy with your new vehicle. Your work will eliminate the possibility of buyer's remorse. But if you take the word of people you don't know and will never meet, how will you ever be certain that you made the choice that is right FOR YOU?

If the Raptor appeals to you, buy it. If I bought what I really needed, I'd probably have an Escape instead of a Raptor. The only time it will ever leave pavement is if I fall asleep at the wheel or have a stroke or something.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the Raptor appeals to you, buy it. If I bought what I really needed, I'd probably have an Escape instead of a Raptor. The only time it will ever leave pavement is if I fall asleep at the wheel or have a stroke or something.

Bingo. Just about nobody NEEDS a Raptor. But I wanted one so I went out and bought one.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bingo. Just about nobody NEEDS a Raptor. But I wanted one so I went out and bought one.

Oh, I needed a Raptor. I was moving from northern Alabama to northern Nevada, and I needed a very capable full-sized truck to do it. Once in northern Nevada I needed a very capable 4x4 due to the winters and all of the off-road driving that's available and sometimes necessary.

You have to understand the difference between needs and wants. If you don't have that concept firmly in hand, a litany of bad decisions will follow.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I needed a Raptor. I was moving from northern Alabama to northern Nevada, and I needed a very capable full-sized truck to do it. Once in northern Nevada I needed a very capable 4x4 due to the winters and all of the off-road driving that's available and sometimes necessary.

You have to understand the difference between needs and wants. If you don't have that concept firmly in hand, a litany of bad decisions will follow.

Fair enough. You're absolutely entitled to your own opinion, as am I. I'm fairly confident that there are other, cheaper options out there that would have allowed you to move and deal with the winters/necessary off-roading.

As for my understanding of needs vs wants, thanks for the lesson! ;) Like I said before, I didn't need a Raptor, I wanted one. Just like nobody NEEDS a large home, or air conditioning, or irrigation systems, or a garage, or a....I can go on forever. People WANT these, because they make life easier/more enjoyable.

We can all agree on one thing, hopefully, and that is that the Raptor is the baddest truck on the planet!! Enjoy!