Separation Anxiety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I should have put this in the "what did you give up" thread, but I kinda have more to say than, what I gave up.
My Raptor is due at the dealership, any time now...can't wait. But I had to sell my 02 Lightning to be able to get the Raptor. I always said I would never sell my Lightning because nothing else compared, in my opinion. Never say never. But now, I have a buyer ready to go and I'm a little apprehensive. The deal is legit...what I mean is, it's gonna be hard to let go of a vehicle that I've owned for over 11 years. You get attached to things...ya know? It's really gonna be hard to hand over the keys and watch someone drive away in, what used to be, my Lightning. Regardless of how I feel, the deal is going to happen and I'm going to pick up my Raptor. I know that my new Raptor will exceed all my expectations, but there's NOTHING like a Lightning. Don't mean to sound sappy or mellow dramatic...just venting a bit.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think how you'll feel if you see pictures of it wrecked on a forum a few weeks later. Happened to a buddy of mine when he sold his highly modded WRX. If it's giving you that much heartache, you may just want to hang onto it. I gave up my second gen Camaro 20 years ago, I kick myself for that every time I see a nice one go by.

Reaction score
I know I should have put this in the "what did you give up" thread, but I kinda have more to say than, what I gave up.
My Raptor is due at the dealership, any time now...can't wait. But I had to sell my 02 Lightning to be able to get the Raptor. I always said I would never sell my Lightning because nothing else compared, in my opinion. Never say never. But now, I have a buyer ready to go and I'm a little apprehensive. The deal is legit...what I mean is, it's gonna be hard to let go of a vehicle that I've owned for over 11 years. You get attached to things...ya know? It's really gonna be hard to hand over the keys and watch someone drive away in, what used to be, my Lightning. Regardless of how I feel, the deal is going to happen and I'm going to pick up my Raptor. I know that my new Raptor will exceed all my expectations, but there's NOTHING like a Lightning. Don't mean to sound sappy or mellow dramatic...just venting a bit.

I know where you are coming from OP.

I will be handing over my truck as well for the Raptor. It's not so much that I've become attached to the truck for performance reasons or anything like that. To me, my truck is a part of who I am and how I've arrived at this point in my life. I don't think about the power or performance stats, I think about all the memories that I have made in that vehicle, both good and bad.

Hell it's been to Proms, Homecomings, took me to college to earn two degrees, been on road trips and to back woods field parties, took my wife and I home after our wedding, moved us into our first house and carried our first dog home. I even asked my wife to marry me on the tailgate up in the Smokey Mountains.

It may sound gay but to me it's just sad to see all of those memories relegated to a dollar amount, trade in or sales price. I honestly never imagined getting rid of it but it's to the point now where it just does not make financial sense to keep investing money into repairs regardless of how emotionally attached I am to the truck.

I know that a large part of me will miss this truck even though the Raptor is such an unbelievable piece of machinery and truly an upgrade in all areas. I just keep reminding myself that instead of looking to past memories I've made with my old truck for comfort I can now look forward to all of the great new memories yet to be made with my new ride. It helps to ease the pain of the transition lol.

Maybe one day I'll be able to find it again and be in a position to buy it back.

OP
OP
SVT Bob18

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know where you are coming from OP.

I will be handing over my truck as well for the Raptor. It's not so much that I've become attached to the truck for performance reasons or anything like that. To me, my truck is a part of who I am and how I've arrived at this point in my life. I don't think about the power or performance stats, I think about all the memories that I have made in that vehicle, both good and bad.

Hell it's been to Proms, Homecomings, took me to college to earn two degrees, been on road trips and to back woods field parties, took my wife and I home after our wedding, moved us into our first house and carried our first dog home. I even asked my wife to marry me on the tailgate up in the Smokey Mountains.

It may sound gay but to me it's just sad to see all of those memories relegated to a dollar amount, trade in or sales price. I honestly never imagined getting rid of it but it's to the point now where it just does not make financial sense to keep investing money into repairs regardless of how emotionally attached I am to the truck.

I know that a large part of me will miss this truck even though the Raptor is such an unbelievable piece of machinery and truly an upgrade in all areas. I just keep reminding myself that instead of looking to past memories I've made with my old truck for comfort I can now look forward to all of the great new memories yet to be made with my new ride. It helps to ease the pain of the transition lol.

Maybe one day I'll be able to find it again and be in a position to buy it back.

Damn...you've hit the nail on the head and know exactly how I feel. I'm sure all of this will pass once I get behind the wheel of my new Raptor. And you make an interesting point about building new memories. I never looked at it that way. In fact, the first memory I will make is taking my son with me and fly out to pick it up and drive it back...ROAD TRIP! Thanks for the alternative point of view.

D

Deleted member 12951

It's a hunk of metal, let it go. I mean it's not like you can **** it or something.

OP
OP
SVT Bob18

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, you are right. Bob never mind....

That picture was never supposed to get out! Christ, you can't trust anyone these days.
Funny pic RDFTS...you got me on that one! I'm not even gonna ask where or how you found that one. When I see pics like this, I always ask myself, what was the thought process leading up to the moment the picture was taken? I guess some people will ****, just about anything.