Researching new Raptors vs Used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nanochicken

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what Raptor owners think of the legacy 8 cylinder engines versus the twin turbo V6's on the 2017 models and the aluminum bodies. I love the look of the 2017's but I'm skeptical of the V6 engine. I honestly can't decide if I want a new one or a used Raptor. Price isn't an issue for me.

1. Does the 2017 engine do 0-60 fast enough for you over the previous year models?
2. Does the 2017 engine have enough towing power over previous year models?
3. Are there any issues with the care and maintenance of a twin turbo engine that I should know about?
4. 2017 owners - have you had any issues with the aluminum bodies?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Penukoko

Reaction score
I went through the same process and ended up purchasing a Used 2014.
While I don't mind going to the V6, to me there are some transmission issues being hammered out and some quality control that goes along with first year models. The 2017 is definitely faster 0-60. The towing capacity is about the same from what I could gather. A twin turbo v6 will have more parts and more potential fail-points, but doesn't mean it can't be reliable. I don't have a 17 so I can't speak to the aluminum body, but it is lighter and it is the future. However depending on what you use your truck for, aluminum may not hold up as well to damage. Some people also love the sound of the V8. For me, the 2014 does the trick and will continue to hold resale value in my opinion, but so will the 2017's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 17, but had my 14 been a raptor and not a lariat 4x4, i would have a 14. my 14 had the gen1 3.5eb. personally have not had any issues over the 45k miles i put on it. the 17 raptor is a stronger motor and lighter truck then my 14.

for maintenance i would say check the plugs at the first sign of rough idle. i changed my plugs on my 14 at 44k. they were carboned and out of spec on the gap. since i don't drive alot anymore i changed the oil yearly. full synthetic regardless of miles. i always run 91 oct too.

for full awareness there are some 17 "hangover builds". same as any other ford truck. there have been a few trucks with issues. you can read around in the gen2 section for more info.

for the 0-60 it is around 5.1 sec. plenty fast enough for me. lol

the v8 sound is awesome in the gen1. you should know a turbo v6 will never rival it. the stock exhaust on my 17 is as nice as the borla s-type i had on my 14. a lil quieter.

i feel for ya. you have a tough decision to make. either way you go post up pics

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 2017's run around the same time 0-60/QM as a Supercharged Gen 1*depending on tune boost etc. So, they are quite quick stock
Same towing capacity for both generations.
#3. I've had a handful of ecoboost vehicles over the years. One is approaching 70k miles with no issues. Maybe long term, 100k+ you may have an issue, you may not. Especially with the Raptor engine being a H.O. 3.5L, time will tell how well they are durability/reliability. I wouldn't sweat it though.
Can't answer #4

JMO

OP
OP
nanochicken

nanochicken

Reaction score
I've decided to wait until the 2018s debut so I can get the EcoBoost V8 engine. Will get the blue jeans or magnetic color (haven't decided yet) if they are still available. This will be, by far, the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought so I'm hoping the quality will be top notch.

Jredd

Reaction score
Sorry Man unfortunately not this year I was excited for it too

I've decided to wait until the 2018s debut so I can get the EcoBoost V8 engine. Will get the blue jeans or magnetic color (haven't decided yet) if they are still available. This will be, by far, the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought so I'm hoping the quality will be top notch.

Ford is not realeasing a V8 ecoboost for the 2018 MY they have already released all the changes for the 18 and its just colors that were deleted and added. They were hinting at the possibility of that V8 last year but they also hinted at it in 2016 it was code named the Voodoo Engine then they dropped it and named the 5.2L the Voodoo. The only new engine that is being talked about is the 7.0L V8 being a true possibility and would be putting it in the F-250/350's and the new GT500 in 2019. The raptor if it does receive a new engine it will be after or around the same time as the GT500.
The reason for the wait is the new 3.2L Diesel in the F-150's won't be until near the end of the year for 2018. All car Manufacturers entire fleet of cars have to meet an average MPG required by the EPAS. So the only way for ford to keep that average possible will be once the Diesel F-150 hits our lots and Ford releases the new Ranger which will help keep the average where it needs to be. Not to mention they are getting rid of the V6 mustang and only going to have the ecoboost and 5.0L. And the new Ford Ecosport will be releasing later this year which is an SUV on a Fiesta Chassis. So with everything factored in it only makes since for it to become possible in 2019, BUT you still have the New Ford Bronco Coming as well so I would take it with a grain of salt for the V8 ecoboost. However I hope they make it to just thought I would give some new info from ford.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Ford is not realeasing a V8 ecoboost for the 2018 MY they have already released all the changes for the 18 and its just colors that were deleted and added. They were hinting at the possibility of that V8 last year but they also hinted at it in 2016 it was code named the Voodoo Engine then they dropped it and named the 5.2L the Voodoo. The only new engine that is being talked about is the 7.0L V8 being a true possibility and would be putting it in the F-250/350's and the new GT500 in 2019. The raptor if it does receive a new engine it will be after or around the same time as the GT500.
The reason for the wait is the new 3.2L Diesel in the F-150's won't be until near the end of the year for 2018. All car Manufacturers entire fleet of cars have to meet an average MPG required by the EPAS. So the only way for ford to keep that average possible will be once the Diesel F-150 hits our lots and Ford releases the new Ranger which will help keep the average where it needs to be. Not to mention they are getting rid of the V6 mustang and only going to have the ecoboost and 5.0L. And the new Ford Ecosport will be releasing later this year which is an SUV on a Fiesta Chassis. So with everything factored in it only makes since for it to become possible in 2019, BUT you still have the New Ford Bronco Coming as well so I would take it with a grain of salt for the V8 ecoboost. However I hope they make it to just thought I would give some new info from ford.

P.S. the 2018's are already available for order I have 3 allocations available right now for anyone who wants one I also have 7 2017's available.

OP
OP
nanochicken

nanochicken

Reaction score
That's a shame that they dropped the V-8 ecoboost for 2018. I was looking forward to it. I'm skeptical of the V-6 being able to deliver enough towing power. I hope I can be proven wrong.

And then there is the aluminum body... I'm not sure whether I trust that just yet. For example, I see issues on these forums with 2017 owners having trouble with the paint job sticking to the aluminum body.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the ever increasing CAFE standards, I don't see Ford throwing a 7.0 V8 in 20-25K F150 Raptors every year.

Our resident genius troll will say otherwise but he is still waiting for the 2017.5 v8 to be released..