Raptor right for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a new full size truck, and the new Raptor SCAB looks perfect to me. I really like the shorter wheelbase and overall length, and honestly wish Ford offered that setup in a Lariat. My kids are grown, and I don’t need the extra rear seating space.

I once sat in a Raptor that was unlocked in the used car section of our Ford dealer on a Sunday when they were closed, and it had the most comfortable seats I have ever tried in a car.

I’m 51 years old and will actually be using the truck for a daily driver and road trips, so comfortable seats and a smooth ride on the road are very important to me. My back isn’t in the best shape, and I’m kind of wondering how the 2017 Raptor’s seats and ride quality on the road compare to the first generation Raptors. I generally take two scuba diving road trips a year from Nashville to the Florida Keys and don’t want to regret the purchase.

D

Deleted member 12951

Same age here (and overweight) and have a GEN1. I've taken road trips to quite a few raptor runs. Drove once over 5,000 miles in one week. Most comfortable seats I've ever had in a truck. More comfortable than my office chair.

I sat in a GEN2 and the first thing I noticed is how even more comfortable the seating was. I never drove it, just sat in it but I bet it is even better, almost felt like memory foam.

So even if you get a used Gen1 or a new Gen2, you will be happy.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say how the ride is compared to Gen 1 as they are not even out yet. Another thing for you to consider is the cost of ownership and maintenance. If ride quality is your top priority you should be aware that the Gen 1 shocks are supposed to be fully rebuilt after 50k miles per Fox. A lot of people don't do it until much later but if you want to maintain the best ride quality...

Do you ever off road? Any time spent off road decreases the service interval. Overall the Raptor is the most comfortable truck I have ever had or rode in. The suspension and seats are very nice on long road trips and I would expect that the next Gen truck will be comparable.

I love this truck. I encourage anyone that can afford it to buy one. It is kind of a bucket list truck for me. Have to own one at least at some point and they hold value very well so if you decide to get rid of it you will probably get most of the cash back. That is assuming the new truck is not a total flop which I doubt it will be. However you may want to consider purchasing a Gen 2 after the first model year. Gen 1 or Gen 2 I think you'll probably love it. Carefull, mods get expensive! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only vehicle I have ever driven 17 hrs+ and didn't feel like I'd been beat up somewhere along the trip. You will not regret buying one if highway road quality is your goal. Bonus - if you see some dirt road that you've never been down and wanna see where it goes, just take it. Chances are you won't encounter anything you can't traverse.....

Tip - although stock these trucks ride great, consider upgrading the rear springs with an aftermarket set (Deavers, WSI, etc). The ride and handling quality is doubled with a good set of springs. Can't believe Ford didn't at least offer a spring upgrade on these things, but at least the aftermarket has a solution......

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
seems like you've already made your decision. buy the raptor. first saw the truck in 2011 and immediately started saving. after selling my soul and a few internal organs I found the 2014 of my dreams. the raptor does have certain needs like gas,,, but I still have one kidney left.
>>>>
I once sat in a Raptor that was unlocked in the used car section of our Ford dealer on a Sunday when they were closed
<<<<
and you didn't push it off the lot.?.

A_Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone. I bought my truck at a dealership 3 states away. I flew out and drove it 750 miles back home. It was a great and comfortable road trip. For a rugged truck, it's a smooth and very comfortable ride.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you love America then a Raptor is right for you.

Seriously though, my truck is our vacation vehicle.
Obviously don't care it gets poor gas mileage compared to the other cars we have, the ride is worth it.
And with the Gen 2 getting suspension upgrades, it will be an even better ride.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have driven my 14 Raptor on a few long family trips and on a bunch of local runs. Even being in it for 12+ hours of driving on pavement and off-road it is very comfortable. Having heated and cooled seats also helps with the comfort level as well. I agree that getting different leaf springs in the rear is a must as well for improved ride, plus doing mid perch on the front.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I currently have two bulging disc and one herniated disc and my Raptor is the only one of our vehicles I can stand to ride in. If it can make me comfortable my guess is you'll love the ride. I do have Deaver +3 springs in rear which helps.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ridden in a lot of trucks over the years, from old beaters as a kid to newer Fords, Chevy's and Dodge as a geologist. I can tell you that the Raptor is the most comfortable truck i've ever driven, and it's not even close.