Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Forums - General Information > Prospective Raptor Owners
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Prospective Raptor Owners

Raptor lifestyle concerns

This is a discussion on Raptor lifestyle concerns within the Prospective Raptor Owners forums, part of the Ford Raptor Forums - General Information category!

User Tag List

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Raptor lifestyle concerns
Hello all

Newto the forum. Trying to find out if a raptor will fit into my lifestyle. My 05 dodge dually got wrecked and now Iím shopping for a new truck. I donít need a dually anymore since Iím out of the horse business.

I do have a boat that probably weighs between 7-8 thousand pounds. I use it for work and most of the time itís a 100-140 mile round trip. Iím worried that going right up to the tow rating will accelerate ware on the truck. Down time is a big deal to me. Right now Iím losing out on $400-1000 a day I donít have my truck.

The rest of the time it will be my daily driver, a marketing tool, a hunting truck, and a farm survey truck. I live down long ungraded dirt rodes in south Florida, hunt local WMAs (corbett mostly), and survey farms in south Texas.

Will the raptor work for me or am I asking to much for one truck.
mmacfn likes this.

Salty4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

bfr
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You tow a boat (assuming like 3-5 days a week) for work that weighs near the max towing capacity of the Raptor. Why bother?

Buy a loaded F150 Platinum or whatever trim w/ 3.5L EcoBoostģ V6
3.55 axle ratio 4x4 with 141" wheelbase. It tows 12,000 lbs. Then spend your money on any other add-ons to make your truck feel good to you and feel like the truck meets your marketing needs.
WhatExit? likes this.
bfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Salty4Life View Post
Hello all

Newto the forum. Trying to find out if a raptor will fit into my lifestyle. My 05 dodge dually got wrecked and now Iím shopping for a new truck. I donít need a dually anymore since Iím out of the horse business.

I do have a boat that probably weighs between 7-8 thousand pounds. I use it for work and most of the time itís a 100-140 mile round trip. Iím worried that going right up to the tow rating will accelerate ware on the truck. Down time is a big deal to me. Right now Iím losing out on $400-1000 a day I donít have my truck.

The rest of the time it will be my daily driver, a marketing tool, a hunting truck, and a farm survey truck. I live down long ungraded dirt rodes in south Florida, hunt local WMAs (corbett mostly), and survey farms in south Texas.

Will the raptor work for me or am I asking to much for one truck.
Trucks break, how you have described use should not be an issue except the boat. The maximum towing on a SCREW is 8,000lbs, and that is with a weight distributing hitch. How far do you tow the boat, how much does it actually weigh, are there a lot of hills where you are towing it? All of those questions need to be asked. If you tow your boat a lot and it is over 8,000 pounds, the Raptor might not be for you.
WhatExit? likes this.

2012 White Supercrew
torrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

^^^^^What they said. Looks like you are on the very edge of towing capacity and you tow the shit out of the boat. Your priority would be to get a truck that can handle the daily towing with no sweat long term and go off road. .....Power wagon?

Old 11-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Originally Posted by SZDZMTR View Post
^^^^^What they said. Looks like you are on the very edge of towing capacity and you tow the shit out of the boat. Your priority would be to get a truck that can handle the daily towing with no sweat long term and go off road. .....Power wagon?
@SZDZMTR Power Wagon?

Go sit in the corner a while and think about what you said.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

On a serious note for those miles, I'd look at an F250 diesel, it will pull the boat like it wasn't there and the drivetrain should last twice as long as any F150 in that environment.
Wfo, SZDZMTR and Smokeshow60 like this.

The "Beach Buggy"
Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

If you're going to be towing regularly at the max capacity they you should seriously consider something different.
tmd11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by torrin View Post
Trucks break, how you have described use should not be an issue except the boat. The maximum towing on a SCREW is 8,000lbs, and that is with a weight distributing hitch. How far do you tow the boat, how much does it actually weigh, are there a lot of hills where you are towing it? All of those questions need to be asked. If you tow your boat a lot and it is over 8,000 pounds, the Raptor might not be for you.
I wanted to so y'all what my dually goes through. The main road is literally called whoop-de-doo road, hence my reason for the raptor. Some days my wife can't get trough with her mazed 6 and most days my vette can't get through. My dually beats the shit out of me. So we are going to sell them all and buy a a 4runner TRD Pro and a Raptor(she really likes the 4runner). the last picture should from earlier this year in Texas when I was running the farms and got my truck stuck and and excavator stuck trying to fish it out.

Going to borrow Moms truck and take the boat to the scales tomorrow. How much weight would y'all think is safe to regularly tow with a Raptor?

Don't really want a power wagon because 6mpg is going to really suck. I no that a raptor won't get close to what my cummins does mpg wise but it has to be better than a power wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2147.jpg   img_2152.jpg   img_1675.jpg  

Old 11-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
These are the two boats I run

Last edited by Salty4Life; 11-11-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
These are the boats I run. I'm a charter guide and tournament angler. The bass boat I know won't be a problem. The bigger boat weighs about 3800 lbs dry, so add the motor, trailer, t-top, gear, and 130 gallons on gas to that.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2029.jpg  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think you should just buy 2 trucks.. looks like you could use a dedicated tow rig.. used market maybe? Plenty of reasonable used powerstrokes out your way I'm sure. If you must have a one truck does all kinda unit unfortunately the raptor wouldn't be it... maybe if you just pulled that little bass boat. But that big white monster, I don't think so.
Smokeshow60 is online now   Reply With Quote