Questions before buying used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakehobbs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First and foremost, thanks for being active here, its provided a great database for me to utilize while researching for a used Raptor. Im now at the final stage before purchase and I need some reassurance that this is a good buy.

2010 SCAB
31,000 Miles

The vehicle is one state away from me. I happened to be in the area three weeks ago and test drove the truck. I noticed a few things

- Hole in Grill
- Rear Shocks Leaking
- Tear in Drivers CV Boot
- Small leak from the tranny
- Random thud, in the drivetrain when slowing or accelerating(could be confused with a firm shift)
- Rather loose sound when shutting the driver side door. Almost as if the rear door had movement or had a reverb effect. I chalked it up to it being a super cab and having no pillar support?

Other than these issues, I feel like I have a keen eye/sense, the truck is in great condition for what I expect a raptor of its age to look like. My worst fear was that its been jumped, but by the looks of the cab to bed line it seems as though the frame is not bent, you tell me? It seemed straight in person, but the more I "Analyze" the photo it looks like I could make a V out of it, am I crazy?

The owner had since taken it in, and claims to have had the grill, shocks, and leak fixed. Should I be worried about the other issues?

Originally he was at 39K, but after negotiating we have agreed on 36K. Based on the current market this seems like a "Pretty Good Deal" for the mileage and condition. I just want to make sure that Im not overlooking a big issue because its a truck I want and it feels like a good price. Im luckily not "*******" after the truck, yet, so I would like to make a decision based on the facts. Any insight?

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 71

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a 6.2 or 5.4? If you can take it to a dealer and have them check trans if the guy lets you. Looks straight from pics but not there in person. Also you can have dealer check the frame. Worth while investment before you purchase.

OP
OP
jakehobbs

jakehobbs

Reaction score
Get a third party ppi.

No decal on door means 5.4?

Is it a 6.2 or 5.4? If you can take it to a dealer and have them check trans if the guy lets you. Looks straight from pics but not there in person. Also you can have dealer check the frame. Worth while investment before you purchase.

Thanks guys. Its a 6.2. The transmission service I verified with the dealer today. He had it in there last week and they checked everything, in addition to servicing the tranny. He also metioned it would be $250 if I brought it in there to have them do an inspection. I think I will check to see if thats doable while Im there before I purchase.

rojo212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the looks of the picture, the front suspension looks like it is on top perch.. that could be the reason for the torn boot on the cv shaft. I could be wrong. Mine is on mid perch and I've torn a boot onbthe drivers side.. i think there is some threads on here that state it is ok for 2010's to be on top... looks like a nice truck.. has some good mods. Good luck on your decision.

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just paid that for a stock 2010 6.2 with 36k miles on it.
Bumper and wheels are worth about 4k.
Take it and drive away like you stole it!

D

Deleted member 12951

Your fear is if has been jumped? I would just consider it a given that a used raptor that has mods other than cosmetic ones, has been jumped. Being jumped doesn't mean it's a bad thing though.

Paying to get it checked out is about one of the best things you can do.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a huge hole on the grill. To replace the grill new would be very expensive. I'd guess $500.
Looks like it needs tires
Frame looks to be ok. Any frame support installed? What other aftermarket items beside the front bumper?

There is a drive line clunk tsb out there. Not sure if it would apply to thus q truck or not.

The rear ends sometimes go on theses while doing doughnuts or when transitioning from soft to hard surfaces while the drive line is being powered. Ask if he gfs ever had the rear end rebuilt.

The third brake lights sometimes leak. You can ask about that.

Three is a thread on here that discusses items to look for when purchasing a 2010 or 2011. I would find it and look at the relative items.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
jakehobbs

jakehobbs

Reaction score
From the looks of the picture, the front suspension looks like it is on top perch.. that could be the reason for the torn boot on the cv shaft. I could be wrong. Mine is on mid perch and I've torn a boot onbthe drivers side.. i think there is some threads on here that state it is ok for 2010's to be on top... looks like a nice truck.. has some good mods. Good luck on your decision.

I just paid that for a stock 2010 6.2 with 36k miles on it.
Bumper and wheels are worth about 4k.
Take it and drive away like you stole it!

Your fear is if has been jumped? I would just consider it a given that a used raptor that has mods other than cosmetic ones, has been jumped. Being jumped doesn't mean it's a bad thing though.

Paying to get it checked out is about one of the best things you can do.

That's a huge hole on the grill. To replace the grill new would be very expensive. I'd guess $500.
Looks like it needs tires
Frame looks to be ok. Any frame support installed? What other aftermarket items beside the front bumper?

There is a drive line clunk tsb out there. Not sure if it would apply to thus q truck or not.

The rear ends sometimes go on theses while doing doughnuts or when transitioning from soft to hard surfaces while the drive line is being powered. Ask if he gfs ever had the rear end rebuilt.

The third brake lights sometimes leak. You can ask about that.

Three is a thread on here that discusses items to look for when purchasing a 2010 or 2011. I would find it and look at the relative items.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yukon Joe
Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Thanks to you all for your input. Much appreciated.